Lvl 2 Gym Instructors - Exercise List

Associate
Guys,

Just in the middle of my gym instructors module with YMCA and have 4 days off to sort a routine ready for assessment. I have to pick 4 freeweight and 4 machine exercises, then drop one of each so that the assessor can give me 2 fast-balls. By the time we get to this, we'll already have a done a warm-up, stretches and 10-15 minutes of cardio. This is the only section that I'm struggling on, primarily due to my lack of experience.

I've decided on the the following sequence, but can anyone spot a problem with this order?

Leg Press (m)
Seated Row (m)
Bench Press (f)
Lat Pulldown (m)
Abductors (m) *
Dumbell Lunge (f) *
Tricep Pullover (f)
Ab Curl (f)

The two * are the exercises I intend to drop.

Any thoughts on a better order/different exercises?

Cheers

Associate
OP
It's primarily to show that you can demonstrate safe and effective exercises. It's not to show that you can design a program for someone, that comes in level 3

Soldato
I'll be doing this in the next month or so. So its good to have a bit of insight as to what's expected.

If the ordering is important?...

Lat Pulldown (m)
Bench Press (f)
Seated Row (m)
Leg Press (m)
Abductors (m) *
Dumbell Lunge (f) *
Tricep Pullover (f)
Ab Curl (f)

Might be a bit better. When I train a group a day I do chest, back, legs and shoulders in that order. Might be a thought to do that same with your exercises. Doing legs on the third day gives the upper body a rest and a short break. As would doing them half way through this short routine you're making.

Thinking about it I'd swap the Tricep pullover for Military Press, or seated Shoulder press machine jobby (Maybe a lateral raise could be worth a thought) as it's a good compound and a tricep isolation just looks a bit out of place, plus theres no 'direct' shoulder exercise as such :)

Associate
OP
Thanks for your input Benny, good luck when you get on the course.

I'll think about a lateral raise, but assumed that doing bench press (Ant. Delts) and Seated Row (Post. Delts) would be enough, given that the shoulder is generally one of the smaller muscles worked and is quickest to tire.

I would have had a back squat in as the first exercise, given that it is (imo) the best whole-body, compound exercise around. Unfortunately, we've been told not to do that for the assessment as there are concerns for the new gym-comer being able to carry out the actions correctly and safely. Equally, anything involving the Clean is to be avoided purely for safety aspect in the assessment. I guess they'll come in Level 3...

My order was trying to get it into a large-small size, but I can see the sense in your order.

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
I know the focus isn't program building, but you've not included anything for spinae erectae / quadratus lumborom. How about a dorsal raise. Is deadlift out of the question? If we're talking order, I'd have lunges first as pre-fatigue, and leg-press after as it's fixed resistance :)

Otherwise don't worry too much fella. Your assessment is based on teaching competency and inclusion of all key teaching points, as I'm sure you know.

Welcome to the industry! You're going to freakin' love it :D

Ant :cool:

PS. I'd say a clean + press is one of the best compounds in regards to integration, everyone's different mind. Love a good squat though :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Cheers Ant. I did originally have a dorsal raise to counteract the abs curls, but was told to take it out. People have referred because they allow the client to hyper-extend the back :( Never thought of doing 10 deadlifts though, good thinking!!

I already teach aerobics, indoor cycling and BodyPump, so I'm not entirely new to the industry, but at 41 I'm probably one of the older n00bs :)

I mean, how many other jobs have you getting 20-odd scantily clad women all sweaty and saying thanks afterwards ;)

Soldato
Would it be possible to give me a quick run down of what exactly we have to do for this level 2? Thought it'd be a good idea to do as it's half price through the Uni and is always useful to have extra qualifications!

I've had a look on the YMCA website but it's not very detailed, or I'm looking in the wrong places!

Thanks

Associate
OP
Roughly 5 days of theory about bones, muscles, energy systems, joints, heart & lungs. Also some sections on working in the industry, health & safety etc. You then take a multiple-choice exam on the above.

The rest of the 5 day course is phys, so you'll be doing circuits and be shown & practice the moves recommended to pass the assessment. This is mixed in with the theory side, so it's not a clear 5 day split.

Once you've completed the training part (or during it if your trainer is any good), you put together a 1 hour "induction" for a client, usually to deliver 4-6 weeks after finishing the course. This includes:

health screening
reasons for wanting to exercise
5 minute warm-up on a cv machine
4 minutes of stretches
5 minutes re-warm on 2nd cv machine
10 minutes of cv work on 2nd cv machine
5 minutes of pulse-lowering on 2nd cv machine
8 resistance training exercises, 4 free weight - 4 machine based. Of the 4 you drop one from each category and the assessor will give you an alternative
5 minutes of re-warm on 3rd cv machine
5-10 minutes of flexibility stretches, including maintenance and developmental

All of this has to be documented and alternatives provided in advance of the assessment, although you do take a copy of the programme that you've designed for the client to follow.

During the assessment you will show the client how to use the equipment provided, demonstrating safe and effective exercises.

All in all, a bloody good laugh :)

Soldato
Thanks for that break down mate :) Ours is split over a couple of weekends I believe. Be good to learn a thing or too as well that could potentially help me :)

Let me know how you get on!

Associate
OP
Go through the books as soon as you get them to prepare for the bones/muscles/heart &lungs etc. It's all quite straightforward, I did that part back in April for my Exercise to Music module, so it's nice to have a refresher this time round too as prep for the Level 3 in Feb.

Our trainer is a guy by the name of Bob Hope. He has some awesome knowledge built up over 15 or so years freelance and previously as a PT in the Navy/Marines. He's published a couple of books so has a good idea of what's what.

If anything else springs to mind, I'll let you know.

Soldato
It's pretty much been covered. Level 2 is comprised of a Physiology and Anatomy exam which you've usually got to score 80% or more in. Depends on the provider, but my studies were distance learnt as I trained when I worked full time, and I studied over 8-12 weeks (IIRC)

Then a weekend workshop, examinations. Then the program building an assessment detailed above.

It's an awesome, awesome industry to work in. I absolutely love it. Gym Instruction is great for picking up a qualification and getting on REPS, and it's the first step in a sea of awesome studies you can take up. Or if you're like sadgeek, you can already be smashing some of the cooler classes ;)

Sadgeek, I'm starting Spin classes myself soon (well, V-Cycle, virgin active branding ;)) and bodypump is something I'd love to teach as well At the minute I just do FP and Personal Training, and fast classes. I'm going on Powerplate and Kettlebells this month which should be awesome. So how are you finding it all bud?

Associate
It's pretty much been covered. Level 2 is comprised of a Physiology and Anatomy exam which you've usually got to score 80% or more in. Depends on the provider, but my studies were distance learnt as I trained when I worked full time, and I studied over 8-12 weeks (IIRC)

Then a weekend workshop, examinations. Then the program building an assessment detailed above.

It's an awesome, awesome industry to work in. I absolutely love it. Gym Instruction is great for picking up a qualification and getting on REPS, and it's the first step in a sea of awesome studies you can take up. Or if you're like sadgeek, you can already be smashing some of the cooler classes ;)

Sadgeek, I'm starting Spin classes myself soon (well, V-Cycle, virgin active branding ;)) and bodypump is something I'd love to teach as well At the minute I just do FP and Personal Training, and fast classes. I'm going on Powerplate and Kettlebells this month which should be awesome. So how are you finding it all bud?

Which Virgin Active are you at mate? My parents live in Alton down the road from Farnham and I'm a member of VA up in London and looking for a place to go to over Christmas.

Soldato
Which Virgin Active are you at mate? My parents live in Alton down the road from Farnham and I'm a member of VA up in London and looking for a place to go to over Christmas.

Small world bud. I live in Alton, used to live in Farnham. If you've got diamond membership training won't cost a penny extra :D

I'm training at Barbican tomorrow.. What London branch are you at?

Last edited:
Associate
Usually go to Angel as it's on my way home but Barbican is nearest my office - not a big fan of the layout there though (always forget to look out for people running around the track!).

Back
Top Bottom