M.2 SSD Heatsink needed?

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Hi

New to m.2 ssds so planning to go for my first sata one. Read you can get passive heat sinks to help cool. I know the pcie nvme runs hotter than sata types so may benefit more but is it really needed or recommended for the sata temps i am likely to get?

Thanks
Kyo

Associate
Some throttle due to temps, and the heatsinks are pretty cheap, which meant it was a no-brainer for me.

This!

They do get a bit warm. Under normal circumstances they are fine but if you are a heavy user they get very hot they can slow down. M.2 Heat-sinks can be a bit tricky to fit, but one I am a fan of is the Gelid Solutions Subzero. Cheap, easy to fit, and works well, so why not??

Some motherboards position the M.2 socket badly ( under the graphics card for example ) and it may prove necessary to put the drive in a different location. Silverstone do a PCIe slot board that lifts the M.2 away from the motherboard allowing better cooling.

Erm, oh, wait, I just looked at your motherboard. As far as I am aware it will not support the drive as a boot drive. Surely that's bad, isn't it?

Last edited:
Soldato
What bremen1874 said. The odds are you will have no overheating problems.

From what I've seen most users have no problems. The ones that do have GPU by them with no airflow over them, so even with heatsinks they will run hot until the is some airflow.

Soldato
I've had a SATA M2 drive throttle in open air before (as in, on a cable hanging off the desk fully exposed). I made and fitted heatsinks myself and it stays below 45 now, down from 70.

I'd say you'll want some heat dissipation even if it's just a metal plate, it'll be miles better than bare chips. If you're never transferring multiple GB of files you're at less risk.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
OP
I have switched to m.2 ssd pcie nvme instead so having the extra cooling makes sense. thanks for the help guys.

Associate
put an EK nickel heatsink on a WD Black 512gb NVMe and idle temps dropped by about 5 degrees, similar sort of drop when under load installing games, as others have said it is not really essential if you already have a decent airflow in your case, but for the sake of a few quid it certainly doesn't hurt, and looks good if it matches the rest of your system rather than a big sticker on the side of a pcb anyway.

Soldato
IMO it's all about where the m.2 slot is. I don't believe there are any drives that need a heatsink if they're not stuck in a hot part of the PC :)

Source: On my old board it was behind the GPU, where my 960 Pro would hit 68-69 degrees and throttle during gaming :( With a different board with the m.2 slot above the GPU, it never gets over 50 even in this heatwave and as a result is actually as fast as it should be.

Back
Top Bottom