Mac For Learning to Write iOS Apps?

Soldato
I've been thinking for a while if I should get a Mac of some sorts, so I can learn Swift.

I guess a Macbook would be a better option, as I don't have much space for another desktop machine. I do have a half decent laptop, is there any (reasonably simple) way to install something on that to code for iOS?

Otherwise, how cheaply can it be done?

Also, how simple is it on iOS? I have a iPad for work. Can I compile something and stick it straight on, like I can with Android?

Man of Honour
You could use Visual Studio 2017 and something like Xamarin, which allows iOS app development via C#. But they aren't very novice friendly depending on your current coding experience. Other option would be to rent a Mac in the cloud, that's what a couple of my friends do for their app development. Could be an option

But, if you're serious, I'd invest in a used MacBook of sorts, even just a MacBook Air. That also will allow you to do what you describe in your last comment, regarding uploading apps to your iOS device (if you were to make it a dev registered device), but you get a hardware simulator with XCode that allows you to run your app on any iOS and Apple device combination out there to maximise compatibility

Soldato
OP
Wow, that's pretty cool. I didn't know you could rent one. Certainly an interesting option, maybe to dip my toe in for a month or two.

Do you know how powerful, what year, etc I might need simply for coding? There's a 2011 i5 with 4GB on the MM for £200. (If it's still available)

As for the installing apps on my iPad, can I share an app to others or do they all need to be 'dev registered'? Everyone at work has work issued iPads, it would be handy to be able to write and app for a bunch of people to use.

Thanks for the info.

Soldato
OP
I'm diving in, head first. I've ordered a Macbook Air from John Lewis, will collect it tomorrow. :)

I've just seen Testflight. Can I use this to get my own apps out to a small team of about 15 without having to jump through Apple's hoops? It looks like I can?

Back
Top Bottom