Mac Mini HD Crash

Soldato
I awoke to the sound of my Mini's HD immitating the sound of a digging machine. I can see the drive in disk utility booted from my Tiger DVD but the repair eventually stalls near completion. I have tried to run the machine in Firewire Drive mode and mount it on my iMac running 10.0 but it only shows the dvd drive, not the hd. Is there any reason why it would, aside from the crash? Maybe because 10.0 isn't able to read a Tiger formatted drive? Just a guess/hope on my part there. The machine is less than a year old, obviously, so its still covered by its warrenty. Its damn annoying for it to happen though.

Soldato
I have a faint memory that 10.0 isnt that good with any firewire sources, dont quote me on that tho :(

10.4 should do the trick but you can't cos you havent got a DVD drive, wow your in a pickle!

Conc

Caporegime
Pull the drive out the Mac, plug it into a USB2 adapter and shove it into a newish Mac to run file recovery stuff from. That's assuming you want the data back. There's no way you can "fix" the drive.

Soldato
OP
For some odd reason its working ok in Firewire Drive mode. I've been able to rescue lots of the data from what I can tell. As soon as this is finished I'll test it for errors and things then see if it boots.

Thankfully I was able to install Tiger onto my old G3 and it then picked up the Mini's HD.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ok the Mini is running perfectly. I don't know whats going on. Yesterday the Tiger DVD couldn't even detect the drive anymore. Formatting failed. Nothing worked. Now after a nights rest its all ok? What happened??? I'm reluctant to send it in for repairs as I don't know if they'll find any problems.

Man of Honour
cyKey said:
Ok the Mini is running perfectly. I don't know whats going on. Yesterday the Tiger DVD couldn't even detect the drive anymore. Formatting failed. Nothing worked. Now after a nights rest its all ok? What happened??? I'm reluctant to send it in for repairs as I don't know if they'll find any problems.
Could be a thermal-related failure, especially in a case as tightly packed as the Mini is.

Back
Top Bottom