Mac OSX competitors?

Associate
What's wrong with the look of the Linux gui? Admitedly, I'm not a big fan of KDE but having installed the latest version (3.5) to test it out a few days ago I was impressed at how real transparency was already incorporated (ahead of XP) into a default instal - with the ability to set Window transparency according to whether it had focus, was being moved etc.

As far as how Linux can look and feel, give Enlightenment a go. Admitedly the latest version is still in development (but freely available & very stable) but it looks fantastic and is very configurable with a *very* integrated feel to it. I've already posted a couple of recent screenshots one and two. Very easy to use, friendly and nice to look at.

If you think the Linux gui (there are plenty to choose from, each with there own look and feel) doesn't look great then post a screenshot because I think some people are putting Linux down based on maybe older versions or are just not trying very hard (unless you think my example of a Linux desktop isn't that great?).

Associate
As a regular Mac user i like don't mind gnome, and i can find my way round. it's not as polished as OSX, but so what? For me I have the best of both worlds with a gentoo box and a couple of macs. :)

Associate
Badabing said:
Step 4 - Install Hummingbird Exceed - oh joy, more software, more processor overheads, more cost (again, because piracy is a crime, no?)
Step 5 - do the experiments i set out to do, after installing an extra piece of software - cost - excess of £200.
Or install cygwin, which includes an X-Server - cost - free.

Back
Top Bottom