Mac Pro 2019

Caporegime

I honestly don't get the whole 1000nits thing, in an office environment you would normally have the brightness set close to minimum for proper calibration and viewing comfort, 1000nits would just be painful to view, my Dell 1440p IPS monitor is currently set to 250nits. It's disappointing that the Apple display is only 60Hz.

On a phone, brightness is very important as it is going to be used in harsh lighting environments like direct sunlight, and you need high brightness to combat that, but a monitor is going to be used in a bedroom or office with relatively low background lighting.

Last edited:
Soldato
I honestly don't get the whole 1000nits thing, in an office environment you would normally have the brightness set close to minimum for proper calibration and viewing comfort, 1000nits would just be painful to view, my Dell 1440p IPS monitor is currently set to 250nits. It's disappointing that the Apple display is only 60Hz.

On a phone, brightness is very important as it is going to be used in harsh lighting environments like direct sunlight, and you need high brightness to combat that, but a monitor is going to be used in a bedroom or office with relatively low background lighting.

Yeah but as said in the video, the display dynamically accounts for the non HDR stuff (the UI, workspace etc) which doesn't require crazy nit levels, and the HDR stuff (the video footage) where the wider gamut makes use of the nits so the brightest highlights display correctly. You might have a scene/frame where 99% of the image is fairly normal in terms of dynamic range but 1% of it is staring-into-the-sun bright, and that's where the 1000nits comes in.

producing-content-in-hdr-02-md.jpg

Soldato

This monitor clearly isn’t for you, it’s for content creation and is designed to go up against $20k+ Reference displays with super accurate colour accuracy. They don’t make Hollywood films on 1440P Dell monitors :D

Why do they need more than 60Hz? Again is for film making not FPS gaming. Also it’s a 6K display, it’s already pushing some serious pixels.

Caporegime
Yeah but as said in the video, the display dynamically accounts for the non HDR stuff (the UI, workspace etc) which doesn't require crazy nit levels, and the HDR stuff (the video footage) where the wider gamut makes use of the nits so the brightest highlights display correctly. You might have a scene/frame where 99% of the image is fairly normal in terms of dynamic range but 1% of it is staring-into-the-sun bright, and that's where the 1000nits comes in.

producing-content-in-hdr-02-md.jpg

Sort of similar to a dynamic contrast ratio? Personally when producing photographic content I loathe that sort of effect and switch it off because it interferes with my ability to judge the scene correctly. But fair enough if you like the effect it's going to impress some people.

This monitor clearly isn’t for you, it’s for content creation and is designed to go up against $20k+ Reference displays with super accurate colour accuracy. They don’t make Hollywood films on 1440P Dell monitors :D

Why do they need more than 60Hz? Again is for film making not FPS gaming. Also it’s a 6K display, it’s already pushing some serious pixels.

Of course it's not for me, I'm a multiple monitor guy any day of the week, 2 or 3, 4k monitors and you've got 11,520x2,160 of perfectly calibrated, colour accurate, screen space to play with. But I'm taking an objective look at the monitor.

The 60hz limitation is not about gaming, most high end cameras these days can capture at more than 60fps, having to skip frames on playback is not ideal.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sort of similar to a dynamic contrast ratio? Personally when producing photographic content I loathe that sort of effect and switch it off because it interferes with my ability to judge the scene correctly. But fair enough if you like the effect it's going to impress some people.

Of course it's not for me, I'm a multiple monitor guy any day of the week, 2 or 3, 4k monitors and you've got 11,520x2,160 of perfectly calibrated, colour accurate, screen space to play with. But I'm taking an objective look at the monitor.

The 60hz limitation is not about gaming, most high end cameras these days can capture at more than 60fps, having to skip frames on playback is not ideal.

It's basically a wider-everything range; brightness, colour and contrast, so that the display output more accurately matches what the eye sees in real life. I don't think it's anything new with grading displays, which are what colourists/grading artists use in post-production, but prior displays cheaper than this Apple monitor were either small (think laptop screen size) or the larger ones were much more expensive (Canon have a 4K 30" one that's about £21k).

What this screen lets people do is have 1:1 raw 4K footage on a 32" screen plus room for UI elements with grading display accuracy, which is cool. The Mac Pro can drive several of them at once as well.

Hopefully some of this tech trickles down into future iMac displays or a refreshed Thunderbolt display.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Xeon processors in 2020? Yeah no thanks. Apple should partner with AMD and release Mac pro's with threadripper chips inside

Caporegime
Xeon processors in 2020? Yeah no thanks. Apple should partner with AMD and release Mac pro's with threadripper chips inside

Yeah 28 cores vs 64 cores, not a difficult choice for a workstation.

I've worked in a digital production environment and they were all using Windows based machines because the IT department were not idiots when it came to price vs performance and the company directors cared about profit and not the brand of the computing equipment, no way would they approve the purchase of super expensive computing equipment with a popular brand name over a much cheaper solution that offered the same output.

Last edited:

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Yeah 28 cores vs 64 cores, not a difficult choice for a workstation.

I've worked in a digital production environment and they were all using Windows based machines because the IT department were not idiots when it came to price vs performance and the company directors cared about profit and not the brand of the computing equipment, no way would they approve the purchase of super expensive computing equipment with a popular brand name over a much cheaper solution that offered the same output.

Exactly. Im not sure why anyone chooses a mac pro over a windows PC if im being honest. When it comes to pro level work, W10 and AMD blow Apple and their crappy xeons out the water

Associate
Exactly. Im not sure why anyone chooses a mac pro over a windows PC if im being honest. When it comes to pro level work, W10 and AMD blow Apple and their crappy xeons out the water

We have a customer who panders to their users and gives them the option of whatever they want. Most go with the Apple products, and based on the surveys we've done its purely down to the fact of how they look. Their creative team have iMac Pros, with the exception of the one sensible guy there who insisted on a custom-built AMD setup plus an LG 5K display which we did for him - less than half the price of the iMac Pro. Guess who's machine gets used to smash through the rendering :)

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

We have a customer who panders to their users and gives them the option of whatever they want. Most go with the Apple products, and based on the surveys we've done its purely down to the fact of how they look. Their creative team have iMac Pros, with the exception of the one sensible guy there who insisted on a custom-built AMD setup plus an LG 5K display which we did for him - less than half the price of the iMac Pro. Guess who's machine gets used to smash through the rendering :)

Quite moronic honestly. But I guess its just the sheep mentality that most people are a victim to. Especially those who are not at all tech savvy, which just happens to be the vast majority of people

Soldato
Their creative team have iMac Pros

This is the thing - "I'm a creative and creatives are a superior breed who use Apple products." It's said so often that people are scared to act differently unless they get "called out", like Political Correctness for the world of computer hardware.

Associate
This is the thing - "I'm a creative and creatives are a superior breed who use Apple products." It's said so often that people are scared to act differently unless they get "called out", like Political Correctness for the world of computer hardware.

Yup there's an awful lot of this that goes on, especially in regards to the customer I'm talking about - who are a television/media company. If they used Final Cut maybe I'd understand - but they don't - entirely Adobe-based toolset.

Soldato
When I think about the Dell Precisions we used to buy in, we got pretty reasonable discounts per machine when buying even a small batch.
For businesses buying this, I presume they have an account manager at Apple and can wangle the same?

I don't really get the complaints at the Mac Pro cost. This machine probably isn't for you... It's definitely not for me.
The complaints at the cost of the monitor stand, I get that. :eek:

I work for a company that has 2 design departments. Concept/graphics use Macs and Technical use PC.

The tech designers use Dell Precisions and the concept designers use Macs. Despite me saying for years that they're throwing money away on the Mac Pros, they insist from the look of our design department standpoint. Which bugs me.

We get very little discount with Apple compared to what Dell provide. Last time I looked, the comparable Dell Precision could be had for 20-25% less than the Mac.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom