.Mac

Soldato
Just curious about .Mac so have a few questions.

http://www.apple.com/dotmac/

Honestly, it looks blooming great. How do you think some of the apps would work in an office environment (team of around 6-10)? From looking at the demos it seems to pretty much sync everything and everyone, calendars, email contacts, documents online, emails, groups...and the gallery would be great for promotional material.

How good is it?..because those videos have really caught my eye.

What's the annual sub cost?
Also, how well would the email work with a Blackberry 8800? The device supports IMAP.

Last edited:
Soldato
Top bit - don't know. Not tried it like that.

Annual sub - officially £69. Buy a code from a US seller on eBay and it's around £40.

Should work fine with a Blackberry. I'm using a S-E K850i with with no problems.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

You'd struggle with a single account in an office environment, in fact you may have to get 2x .Mac Family Pack, which includes support for up to 5 users, per pack.

http://www.mac.com/1/family_pack_tm.html

I use my .Mac as my main email, and the IMAP works fine in that regard.

The best bit is the system preferences and address book syncing :)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

So the way this works is that whatever net connected Mac you sign in to with your .mac account it ends up looking and functioning just like if you were on your own? Along with email etc?

Yes, when you log in to .Mac from the "new" Mac, it downloads and syncs the settings so it looks identical to your Mac. For instance, the Wallpaper and dock icons all change.

.Mac email will also show up in Mail when you've synced.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I can see them adding push email for .Mac soon.

Given that it's meant to be on the horizon with iPhone firmware 2.0.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

You can set up mail forwarding in .Mac.

You aren't tied in as such, obviously you could use it to sync your settings and use Apple Mail to receive your normal mail + forwards from .Mac.

You can also reply from .Mac using another email address..

Soldato
OP
Ok, that sounds good. So the email we use and hand out to people will remain the same.

Hmm. It's difficult. Are there any other companies that offer this kind of services? I'm looking in to google apps as well.

Soldato
OP
Following up on this; is it possible for more than one person to access a .mac account. For example, if a few of us wanted to be able to upload photos to the web gallery would this be possible just by signing in to the account on the Mac?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Following up on this; is it possible for more than one person to access a .mac account. For example, if a few of us wanted to be able to upload photos to the web gallery would this be possible just by signing in to the account on the Mac?

Not at the same time, but I can't confirm it.

I'm going on the basis that most accounts can detect if you're already signed in at another machine. No doubt you could do it one-at-a-time if you wanted to skimp on 1 account.

FYI: They'll be changing all the @mac.com accounts to @me.com soon anyway :mad:

Soldato
If that's all you want it for, you can already allow anyone to upload to your gallery - you just set it in the options when you publish.

Not at the same time, but I can't confirm it.

I'm going on the basis that most accounts can detect if you're already signed in at another machine. No doubt you could do it one-at-a-time if you wanted to skimp on 1 account.

FYI: They'll be changing all the @mac.com accounts to @me.com soon anyway :mad:
I've had two machines logged in to .Mac at the same time, there are no issues there.

And we'll still have our @mac.com's, they're not daft enough to screw everyone over :)

Last edited:
Associate
I'm looking forward to what the new .Mac/Me is going to be like :)

Rumors seem to suggest that all @mac.com address's will still work and everyone will be given an @me.com as well.

I can understand why Apple needed to create a non Mac-centric name due to the iPhone (and probably Windows integration as well) - but .Mac/@mac.com just sounds better.

Roll on June 9th! :D

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

If that's all you want it for, you can already allow anyone to upload to your gallery - you just set it in the options when you publish.

I've had two machines logged in to .Mac at the same time, there are no issues there.

And we'll still have our @mac.com's, they're not daft enough to screw everyone over :)

I've heard that @mac.com will work initially (by auto-forwarding to @me.com) then eventually they'll try to phase it out.

Back
Top Bottom