Macbook C2D Ram Upgrade

Soldato
Looking to put another 1gb in my black macbook, couple of questions. does anyone know if it is 1x1gb stick in there? What sort of mem do I need? Where is the best place to get it? Anything else I should bear in mind? Cheers!

Soldato
Hey.

Unfortunately I don't know if it is one 1GB stick or two 512MB sticks - but reading from the specs on the Apple website I would be inclined to think that it is one stick.

Best way to check is to pop that thing open! RAM is user upgradeable so no need to worry about invalidating your warranty!

Afraid that we can't point out any places that sell RAM apart from OCUK but having a quick Google should help you along!

Rich

Associate
Macbook's have 2x512mb sticks to make up the 1gb. The utilize the extra bandwidth of Dual Channel memory for Intel Graphics Chip.

Many of the main brands of ram, Crucial, Kingston etc. have on-line wizards designed to make sure you choose the correct ram. Just a case of sourcing somewhere to buy it from then!

Soldato
OP
Ok, it appears I have 2x512mb DDR2 667mhz.

I see OCUK sells:

Crucial Ballistix DDR2 667mhz for 129.99

or

Geil Value for DDR2 667mhz 94.99

Would I see any difference with the more expensive one? Would these work fine? Cheers.

edit: seems those are 240pin and I need 200 :(

Last edited:
Soldato
That's desktop RAM. You need a laptop SO-DIMMs. As stated above - try and get something guaranteed as MacBook compatible. You'll not get any sympathy from me otherwise when you post "Why does my upgraded MacBook keep crashing with Kernel Panics"

Soldato
OP
Ok so for example, Crucial says "compatible", does that mean they know it fits or it's compatible in that that it's not going to panic my macbook...? Would love to buy some tried and tested stuff!

Back
Top Bottom