macbook, how easy to upgrade? warranty?

Soldato
hi guys,

just wondering how easy it is to pump up the ram in a macbook, and also to upgrade the hdd??

i'd love a macbook with 4 gig of ram and a 160gig 7200rpm drive, and it aint all that expensive either!!

also, does it void the warranty, and also does the package come with some sort of install disk for osx when a new hdd is put in?

Soldato
Very easy to do.

No it doesn't void the warranty.

Yes it comes with install discs.

:)

This only applies to the MacBook though, the MacBook Pro is a different matter, I don't think the hard drive in that is user replaceable.

Soldato
OP
This only applies to the MacBook though, the MacBook Pro is a different matter, I don't think the hard drive in that is user replaceable.
aahhh i see, well that also factors into my decision then...

as far as i can see the ONLY advantage of any use to me is the GPU of the MBP... i want the smaller screen since most of the time it'll be zapped into my 22" samsung, i think the macbook looks better, i dont need the backlit kb since most of its life it'll be shut and using an external keyboard, so all in all i have to decide whether the dedicated graphics is worth an extra 500 quid...

and now to top it all off, the macbook has an upgradable hdd and benchmarks (barring 3d stuff) puts the macbook, mbp and imac very close to each other, this makes the decision even easier! obviously the same benchmarks put the mac pro off the scale but they are excessive for me in terms of both power and $$$.

Soldato
replacing the RAM and a HDD in a Macbook is just as easy as a PC, just remove battery, unscrew the sheild and pull out the bits you want to replace. there are guides on the Apple Site.

Commissario
I'm going to be doing this in the forthcoming week (upgrading hdd and ram) - will take some pics and show how it went :)

Soldato
OP
which ram do you buy for a current macbook? all the latest press about the facelift to the macbook say its not got a 800MHz fsb... but on the apple site the macbooks still ship with 667MHz ram???

anyone know whats goin on there?

Associate
I just had a look at the prices of memory for the Mac and I couldn't believe how cheap they are now!!!

You can pick up 2 x 2 gig for only £115!!!!! I may have to do a little Mac surgery this w/e :D

Back
Top Bottom