Macbook pro advice needed

Soldato
Hi

I'm thinking about purchasing the new MacBook pro in 13", I was initially going to get a iPad pro but I have always wanted a MacBook at some point, so am leaning towards that instead.

Just unsure how practical a MacBook is for me, its only for home use and I don't don't really do any intensive task's, so the MacBook pro may be overkill for me but its nice having a powerful device, I intend to keep it a fair while as well.

Is the MacBook pro comfortable to use sitting on the sofa for example, just trying to get an idea of weight and ease of use when not sitting at a desk vs the ipad pro.

Also is the new base MacBook pro 13" with Touch Bar decent enough spec, in particular the 8gb ram and 256gb hdd, would I be wise to upgrade to 512gb and 16gb ram, for the long term?

Thanks

Man of Honour
You can’t upgrade them post purchase. If you don’t do intensive work then maybe look at the regular MacBook rather than the Pro.

Soldato
OP
You can’t upgrade them post purchase. If you don’t do intensive work then maybe look at the regular MacBook rather than the Pro.

I will check out the other MacBook, its only a friend had the MacBook pro and I liked it with the Touch Bar and all and I gather the pro may have the better screen, and I do use the photos app quite a bit.
As for specs I might stick to 256gb and just upgrade the ram, if I go ahead with it.
I can always use an external for my photos.

Commissario
If I decide to have my photos library stored and synced to an external hdd is it ok to also use the same external hdd for time machine backups?
Yes, because you'd partition it.
From what you're describing, ie light usage, you might consider a MacBook rather than a MacBook Pro. Lighter, smaller and quieter (no fans at all).

Soldato
OP
After a bit more thinking, I have decided to get an iPad Pro instead, having an iMac already, it seems a bit silly getting a MacBook as well. I may wait still to see if any new iPad versions get released later this year, hearing rumours of possible new iPad pro or a iPhone X style iPad.

Commissario
After a bit more thinking, I have decided to get an iPad Pro instead, having an iMac already, it seems a bit silly getting a MacBook as well. I may wait still to see if any new iPad versions get released later this year, hearing rumours of possible new iPad pro or a iPhone X style iPad.
I have an iPad Pro as well. It sits by the side of my bed and gets used as an ebook reader, that's about it.
I also have an iMac and a MacBook, they compliment each other really well. I wouldn't miss the iPad if I didn't have it but I would miss the MacBook.

That's my way of saying I think you're wrong :)

Caporegime
I have an iPad Pro as well. It sits by the side of my bed and gets used as an ebook reader, that's about it.
I also have an iMac and a MacBook, they compliment each other really well. I wouldn't miss the iPad if I didn't have it but I would miss the MacBook.

That's my way of saying I think you're wrong :)

I’m the opposite, I’d take the 10.5 Pro any day for using on the sofa. The thing is a beast, it can edit 4K video without breaking a sweat and lightroom is really slick on it.

For note taking the Pro/Pencil combo is untouchable.

Soldato
My macbook pro died recently and all I ever used it for was office, watching films and the Internet so upon reflection a macbook is probably better. Just wondering how well they're built compared to my 2011 MBP, which took an absolute beating over 7 years and never missed a beat until it overheated.

Man of Honour
It’s under warranty and you have 14 days to return it. It’s not to everyone’s liking but I don’t mind mine so much.

Back
Top Bottom