MacBook Pro Fault

Associate
My 2017 MacBook Pro Non Touch Bar recently would only work if the power was connected and started randomly shutting down, diagnostics showed it could not detect a battery.
I tried a SMC reset using the keyboard which made no difference and opening it up and disconnecting the battery cable and holding the power button, again no difference. I read online it could be something in the os causing the issues so Stupidly I decided to wipe the HD and re install the os, when I was in the process of reinstalling the os from the recovery disk the MacBook shut down ! On boot up using command + r now would take it straight to internet recovery I guess the shutdown corrupted the recovery drive and it was now only able to reinstall the os from the internet recovery, it starts the download but keep shutting down so I am not able to even install the os back on the MacBook.

does anyone know if there is anything I can do to stop the mac randomly shutting down ? Would the faulty battery cause it shut down and disconnecting the battery cable and running of ac power be ok ?

Associate
It shouldnt be the battery if you have it removed and running off AC.

Prob more like a thermal issue or maybe a cracked trace or something. I never thought much of these things, they seem to be overly compromised for looks over performance and longevity (hell they thermally throttle more than a nuclear power station)

Soldato
Sounds like a faulty Logicboard though without seeing the unit's behavior first hand that is speculation. Get yourself to an Apple store or an ASP and ask them to run full system diagnostics (these are more in-depth than the ASD you can run at home). They'll be able to run specific tests on your ssd etc also.

If you're still in warranty and it's not had any accidental damage, they should cover it.

Back
Top Bottom