Magnus & Magnus LXP - Budget 4k Gaming

Soldato
Thought i'd stick with another North Sea Platform , this one being close to my Heart.... BP Magnus!

Two forms of this build, all under air and then the LXP (Life Extension Program), which is it all under water to gain better results from what you've got . Funny as now Magnus will no longer be under BP from Next year. sad times.

Wanted to keep build as cheap as possible, so the board was going to be in the form of B250 chipset but an UltraGaming slapped me in the face .

Components are ;

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,368.90
(includes shipping: £0.00)

Actually the GTX 1080 is Gigabytes Turbo card and was £500 before the drop in GTX pricing.
PSU is Gigabyte 700w Bronze
Watercooling Gear is Alphacools Eisbaer 120 with 240 rad kit and GPX 1070 G1 block. 100% modular for easy change :)

Soldato
OP
Rajinteks Thetis!

This thing is a Beaut! and a Steal at its current price for Aluminum and 2 glass panels! I thought my Jonsbo UMX4 was small but this brings its A-Game for half the price.
PSU housed inside was based on 150mm but 160mm should fit in fine and still allow a full length GPU card to be used.
I installed a 240/30mm radiator up the top, GPUs with single slot full waterblocks like EKWB could have an SLi/ XFire set up in a tight compact build.
Space at the back and layout was plenty and great for cable management with a good variety of options for storage

Soldato
OP
Mobo!

Gigabyte's Z270 Ultra Gaming

All the RGB you could want, SLi, triple NVMe and good DDR 4 support for a tidy price!
Will say though the VRMs heatsink is as loose as a " insert red-light comments here" and bit of a same there wasn't a second M.2 instead of the U.2
Boards Auto Overclock hit 4.8Ghz with 1.308v and kept C States active !

if watercooling, would recommend these to get the most out of the board

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £99.65
(includes shipping: £8.70)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
RAM... well is ram

Corsair's match he black PCB and covers just nicely and should let the RGB stand out. havent yet overclocked them

Soldato
OP
PSU

Gigabyte H700 - 700W Bronze Award PSU - which i now believe is EOL... haha but cheap :D

nice and small coming in at 150mm, wasn't sure if a 160mm or 170mm would fit so went with this one. Simi-modular which helps keep cables niec and tidy and was surprised to see flat cables like Silverstone brands, which again makes Cable management a dream in small cases like this.
NO COIL WHINE! and is actually silent , but then again not reaching 70%+ power usage

Soldato
OP
GPU

Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Turbo

At the Time of Purchase this card was £530 when all overs were Min £600 with the G1 rocking in at £660 . The blower design is superior then FE version as its uses 3 heatpipes and VRM & Ram are all cooled under the main heatsink. Not to mention is a G1 board !!!!
Stock version ran 1900hz @ 80c with fan running at 50c on the usual benchmarks. Under water it hits 2Ghz+ @40c with overclock

Going under water!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Finally got around to taking some Hi-Res shots of the finished layout and configuration

Do like the lighting strips, adds a bit of flare. personally would love to see a motherboard framed by this plastic sheeting. would illuminate the boards perfectly !

Few things learnt from the build, one Disconnect to many. only really need the GPU to pop up, although the ability to removed the block/pump for RMA is handy!
Also installing water Temp monitor before it enters the first hot zone.

have an LED strip to install and also Filter to be able to take a shot with the Glass panel on... finally!

*** i've seen a few reviews stating it was a shame not to include a second fan mount at the bottom. since its the smallest ATX case mass produced, could easily hold twin 240 rads!
what i havent taken a snap shot is the radiator is held by an offset bracket . smart idea and a lot of cases would benefit from this.
might try and mount it to the bottom since the whole system is modular and breaks apart

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom