Main holds 19 year dying dog in lake every night who saved him when he was a puppy

Caporegime
Okay it;s the mail, but what a heart pulling story

I7JHD.jpg
True love: John Unger, 49, lulls his 19-year-old dog Schroep to sleep because it helps ease the dog's arthritis

Shep falls asleep every night when he is carried into the lake. The buoyancy of the water soothes his arthritic bones. Lake Superior is very warm right now, so the temp of the water is perfect,' the photographer wrote on the Facebook post.

'To be honest with you, I don’t think I’d be here if I didn’t have Schroep with me (that night). He just snapped me out of it. I don’t know how to explain it. He just snapped me out of it. … I just want to do whatever I can for this dog because he basically saved my ass,' he said.

Now that Schroep is in pain with his arthritis, it is Mr Unger's time to return the favor.

Full story here

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...itic-dog-sleep-lake.html?ICO=most_read_module

EDIT: Better story here and much more detail

http://www.twincities.com/ci_21273909/this-man-picture-is-worth-thousand-words-so?source=pkg

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
The way I see it, already, if you read the 2nd link, somebody has donated enough money for all the painkilling meds the dog needs and any vet bills plus the photographer is giving him half the money form selling the photos.

Caporegime
OP
Was on reddit about a week ago, old news.

Sorry. :(

sorry I don't read reddit so I missed it.seems lots of people on ocuk missed it too. In future before I start a thread I will make sure it hasn't been posted anywhere on the internet first though.....:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
He didnt commit suicide (over his fiancee leaving him of all things ****ing loon) because his dog looked at him?

The guy should grow up, seek some help for his quite evident mental health issues and put that poor dog out of its pain.

Really? You have never been in that situation clearly where you feel you have lost everything and life isn't worth living? I can well see the fact that he rescued this dog and hence it was his responsibility to look after him,stopped him from topping himself.

Caporegime
OP
I agree there comes a time when you do need to make that decision to end the animals suffering but he couldn't even afford pain killers or treatment for the dog so he was doing the best he could. He can now thanks to the photo so hopefully the dog will be happier. How many people on here would go without food so the dog could eat and take your dog out into a lake every day? That's dedication and unconditional love for you

Caporegime
OP
I have not told anybody what to do, as usual with threads like this, the hard of thinking jump in with both feet, dont understand a point someone is trying to make, have no appreciation for someone elses point of view and it ends of being a slanging match because they really just are not capable or too lazy to rationalize what someone is saying.

If you go to a medical practitioner and say "I am thinking of killing myself" or you try to kill yourself, you will be sectioned under the mental health act, because you are not well. If he was considering topping himself because he got dumped and he hasnt had help since then, chances are he will have the same thoughts the next time something bad happens to him and he should be seeking help if he hasnt done already.

The dog is 17 years old, and suffering. I hate seeing animals suffer, I hate people who put their feelings and inability to cope with loss above the welfare of the animal.

I tried to help the not quite so bright of you understand that I was coming from a point of being in a situation similar to him, and that my thoughts on the matter were not coming from a point of never being in a position to understand being in a hopeless position.

Its no less a valid view on the matter than any of yours.

I commend you from getting yourself together when everything went wrong with you but seriously, from you posts, you still have major issues and I think you really need to go and talk to somebody pofessionally.

Caporegime
OP
Really cute that is.

I love dogs, especially big dogs, and I can understand why he would do anything for his dog.

I don't find it upsetting, I find it increadibly warming in a way. I like that we can have mutual love across species, it makes living on this earth all the more enjoyable.

Gotta love mans best friend. :)

My sentiments exactly. I have held 3 dogs as they have been put to sleep in my lifetime and the bond between dog and man is so strong.

Back
Top Bottom