Maintenance habits

Soldato
Hi all - just wondering what peoples maintenance habits are with their bikes? I'm still a pretty new rider (only got full license jan this year) and whilst I go out on my bike at least a few times a week I realised that aside from checking the chain is vaguely clean and lubricated I don't really do much else.
I guess my biggest concern is with bolts and whether people actually periodically go round their entire bike with a torque wrench checking everything is tight / hasnt come undone or if this isnt really something to worry about?

Soldato
POWER checks, every ride - Petrol, Oil, Water, Electrics, Rubber - Usually when the bike is warming up, as it only takes a minute.
Other things are generally checked as per the owners manual.

Check all your bolts, by all means, but you should only need to do this once.

Associate
The only bolts/nuts I regularly check are the gear shifter rod nuts and the bolts holding crash bungs into the engine as I found vibration can slowly loosen them. The rest just checked during servicing and so far haven't needed to tighten anything.
Always a quick check of the brakes before setting off and tyres don't have anything sticking out of them.

Man of Honour
POWER checks, every ride - Petrol, Oil, Water, Electrics, Rubber - Usually when the bike is warming up, as it only takes a minute.
Other things are generally checked as per the owners manual.

Check all your bolts, by all means, but you should only need to do this once.
An evolution of this is POWDERY.
Petrol, Oil, Water, Drive (chain/belt/shaft), Electrics, Rubber, You (Are you fit and in the right frame of mind to ride).

Unless you ride an old thumper, properly torqued bolts should remain that way. If it really concerns you, mark a line with a paint pen across the bolt head and adjacent surface to enable a visual check for any creep.

What bike is it? Some bikes may have specific characteristics that require a tailored check.

Soldato
OP
Brilliant thanks for the responses guys / gals. Appreciated! Seems like i should be doing a little more hah
@Scuzi its a 2022(72) Triumph Trident

Associate
I do a quick visual check a few times a week, more times than i actually ride it! i look at the chain, tyres, look for fluid leaks, missing nuts/bolts, lights. i've never checked any bolts/nuts for tightness. i'll be getting my current bike serviced once per year as dictated by the service manual, i trust a motorbike mechanic will do a better job than me at giving it the once over.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Check the tyres now and then, fill it with fuel, the odd clean, that's about it. It's not even had its second service yet. It also doesn't have a chain so none of that to worry about.

100mpg too and £20 a year on tax, phat lolz.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Weekly or before a group rideout
- Chain Slack and Lube
- Oil Level
- Tyres (for nails, rips and pressures)

Service, I think I did mine every 3-5k, every 10k clean the air filter (had K&N).

Soldato
I just check my chain, and oil now and then.

I service it and do brakes, everything really myself, 20 years old and still going strong so much be doing something right. I dont use it over winter any more, ill start it up every few weeks and occasionally put the battery on a low charge for say 8 hours, again every few weeks or so. Ive done the brake fluid once on the front, never on the back. New pads front and back, once (strong engine breaking on my bike), new spark plugs, once, ermmmm trying to think what else, its on its 3rd chain and sprockets, 3rd battery.

Actually dont do tyres myself, and they cost a bloody fortune these days :( And paid a garage to check my valve clearances, which they said were fine and likely never need doing again.

jcr

jcr

Associate
check tyre pressure, horn and bulbs before each ride. check and lube chain after each ride(paint brush and used engine oil.) check oil level monthly.
i am a fair weather only rider though.

Associate
I always check my tyre pressures before every ride. I don't ride it very often so pressures can drop from lack of use. If I rode it every day I'd probably just check them once every few days
After every day's riding I'll check the oil level and lube the chain. When the gear changes start getting snatchy I'll check & adjust the chain tension.
Periodically I'll check bolts aren't falling out (this big old Italian 1200 v twin likes to shake them loose). I don't bother with a torque wrench very often, although I probably should.

Back
Top Bottom