• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Major GFX card problems (i think)

Soldato
Hi guys,

Am sat at work and decided i really should try to make some use of this time and get solutions to a problem i have been having with my computer.

Spec: Vista Business x64, 4 gig ram, Q6600, 8800GTX.

Now when playing something like world of warcraft i sometimes though only every few days get some major artifacts in the game, whole textures disappear, i get big triangles and spikes all over the place, restarting game seems to sort it out.

At other times i can be playing wow on one screen and watching a movie on the other with dual screens when suddenly my screens start blinking black and i cannot resolve it without switching the machine off and on.

Also i get random BSOD doing a memory dump and when computer restarts it says it has recovered from a serious graphics device error?

Is this my OCUK 8800GTX or drivers or does it sound like something completely different? I have the latest drivers from the nvidia website and have tried a driver cleaner and fresh install with no success.

Today when i got a replacement monitor for a dodgy one i sent back my computer would only pick up one until i rebooted a couple of times.

Thanks

Soldato
Artifacts are normally down to drivers or the card itself.

I would take it out and check its not clogged up with dust and getting very hot.

Then i would suggest running alot of loops of 3dmark or something thats going to hammer the graphics side of things, and see what happens.

Soldato
Could be PSU IMO, I had a similar problem with an old 6600GT.

What spec's yours?

Got a corsair modular 600 one. Was highly recommended on the forums. I will try reseating the card and clearing dust from around it and see if that helps cheers guys.

Permabanned
after a few years my 6800gt kept crashing in games, took it apart and the thermal paste was almost non existent. a quick reapplication sorted it out.

Last edited: