Majorca

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice and apologies for missing some of the obvious information in the Cycling Holidays thread!

Got everything sorted now, staying at Duva Pollensa and I've hired a Massi Pro with Di2 from Pro Cycle Hire

Looking forward to it now, was a bit apprehensive at first as I'm going on my own but after a bit more research I'm feeling better. Shame I can't go for longer really, maybe next time

Soldato
Sounds good! When are you heading out there?

I was a bit apprehensive about heading out on my own too at first but I've traveled with a bike before and ProCycleHire providing group rides means company is available if I were to struggle to find any out there. As it happens another forum member is out there the same week.

My GPS also sends a live tracking link to however many e-mail addresses I chose so my loved ones back home will know where I'm dying/dead if I go off grid for a few days :p

Soldato
Thanks for the advice and apologies for missing some of the obvious information in the Cycling Holidays thread!

Got everything sorted now, staying at Duva Pollensa and I've hired a Massi Pro with Di2 from Pro Cycle Hire

Looking forward to it now, was a bit apprehensive at first as I'm going on my own but after a bit more research I'm feeling better. Shame I can't go for longer really, maybe next time

:D

Duva Pollensa is opposite where im saying now. I have seen a lot of Massi bikes so you'll be in good company.

Soldato
I'm gutted I can't take my own bike to GC. Logistically, it doesn't quite work getting to the airport.:(

Driving & paying for parking works out around the same as a taxi transfer for me. It's good to be able to remove relying on a third party to have a suitable vehicle and also be timely :)

Soldato
Not viable unfortunately. I'm based in London, getting a train back to my parent's near Nottingham who will take me to East Midlands airport but my dad's car cannot fit in a bike bag.

Renting a van and making my own way to the airport with the bike and parking it there for a week probably works out more expensive than the train tickets + bike hire but I should probably check.

Soldato
Could you call on a favour of friends with a van or bigger vehicle? Or rent a 'man-with-a-van'? No need to worry about parking then. Guess it comes down to how much you want to take your own bike :)

Trains are hardly cheap :(

Soldato
This is getting complicated to explain!:p

Basically, I cannot get to East Midlands airport from London for a 9am flight with my bike without spunking more cash than a hire bike + train ticket costs.

The reason I'm flying from a non-local airport is because my parents are paying for the holiday, so I guess I can't complain too much about paying for bike hire.:D

Soldato
Are your parents going with you? If not you could hire a van for your father to drive on the 2 days required rather than paying for a whole week?

Can hire a transit van locally here for £40 (local firm rather than something like Enterprise who are twice the price). The £40 covers everything, except fuel, but if mileage is over 100 you pay a surcharge (it's pence a mile so not terrible). We hired 2 transits and a larger 'Luton van' when moving house (cost £80 rather than £40). The transit was very easy to drive, just felt like a slightly bigger version of my fiesta! :D

Basically how does £100-150 (hire for 2 days + fuel) compare?

Soldato
Mini-vans are like half the price of a car from most rental places and are much better for putting a bike in! Used one this year for taking my bike to the Lakes and for my half-Ironman.

Going back to Roady's question, why would my parents book a holiday for me with flight from their local airport if they weren't coming?:p

Back
Top Bottom