Makerbeam cases

Associate
I made a case out of generic t-slot extrusions, which is basically the same stuff. It's absolutely great for putting together boxy things with very little effort required.

frame.jpg

carbon_aluminium_atx_case.jpg

Soldato
30mm. Strong enough that it's safe to stand on. Well, safe for the case, not for me given the wheels on the bottom.
How light is it? Are they aluminium?

Might try something like this for my next proper case, be good designing your own case using these + acrylic panels.

Associate
How light is it? Are they aluminium?

Might try something like this for my next proper case, be good designing your own case using these + acrylic panels.
It's 14.7kg for the case alone. I thought that was pretty heavy when I built it, but modern commercial full-tower steel cases can be even heavier. The extrusions are aluminium. I have an article about it on my website if you want to read more.

Soldato
It's 14.7kg for the case alone. I thought that was pretty heavy when I built it, but modern commercial full-tower steel cases can be even heavier. The extrusions are aluminium. I have an article about it on my website if you want to read more.
Nice will have a read up on it on your website tonight. That's surprisingly heavy! I would've though it would have been much much lighter than that.

Associate
Nice will have a read up on it on your website tonight. That's surprisingly heavy! I would've though it would have been much much lighter than that.
A lot of the weight is from the 30mm extrusions, which are much stronger than they need to be. I would have used 20mm but the choice of connectors was better at 30mm. The 10mm that Makerbeam uses is probably more appropriate for a PC case, though it doesn't look strong enough to be able to sit on the case.

Associate
OP
Yeah, I did look at those, among others. I decided to get a "vandal" switch from the lazer3d accessories selection instead. I could probably get an equivalent elsewhere cheaper, but decided preferred to get it from overclockers for the better after sales support.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lazer3d-lz7-16mm-vandal-led-switch-pre-wired-white-ca-03j-lz.html
They do also have a couple of full front panel options there, but since I already had usb3 and usb-c pci slot adapters(below) and did not want audio I decided to just get the switch.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/akasa-usb-3.1-gen-2-type-c-pci-slot-plate-adapter-cb-12q-ak.html

Back
Top Bottom