Makes a very interesting read

Man of Honour
I would refer you back to my post 37 plus the original news article - netbooks will be the authors of their own demise and good riddance too.

Not saying they won't at all - just saying I'm not convinced the tablets are coming. Smartphones and CULV based laptops will kill netbooks, because they're both proven technology which is generally superior to a netbook for your man in the street.

Tablets are unproven and every iteration of them so far has been a mass market failure, despite reasonable products being on the market for more than five years their usage is still very niche. Partly I think that's the OS, maybe new screen technology will help but I still don't believe it's going to be the next big thing.

Soldato
OP
Not saying they won't at all - just saying I'm not convinced the tablets are coming. Smartphones and CULV based laptops will kill netbooks, because they're both proven technology which is generally superior to a netbook for your man in the street.

Tablets are unproven and every iteration of them so far has been a mass market failure, despite reasonable products being on the market for more than five years their usage is still very niche. Partly I think that's the OS, maybe new screen technology will help but I still don't believe it's going to be the next big thing.

I'm with you on the smartphone issue - just a case of them becoming more affordable. Once the kids start buying them in numbers that's when they will really take off.

Associate
I think you can't seperate something you don't like from the development cycle it sits in.

I wonder at the evangelism of people who 'hate' different bits of technology even when other people state they find them useful for a specific purpose.

Perhaps a slate tablet in a bag and some chalk should still be the thing to use and everything you don't like should be consigned to the scrap heap. Innovation 0, haters 100.

Associate
I don't understand this CULV "laptop" and Netbook separation. CULV laptops will kill netbooks? They ARE netbooks basically, and vice versa, it doesn't need to have Atom to make it a netbook.

The 11.6" Acer 1810 has a CULV chip, but is netbook in size. Which is it? On the other hand the HP mini has an Atom processor, but has a competent graphics chip, the Ion.
A combination of both would be killer, high performance and perfect in a 11.6" chassis. Why do people insist on separating these two things into different classes? Where does a netbook stop being a netbook and becomes a CULV laptop?

If its simply screen size, then there will always be a market for a smaller, more portable screen.

Soldato
I have a Lenovo S10e and love it. It's been running the 7 Ultimate RC since it came out (tho I have kept the restore XP partition for resale purposes ;)) and runs it flawlessly, Aero and all. It has a 6 cell (5hr usable) battery and 2GB RAM. I travel a lot for work and leasure, ~25k miles by air, road and public transport in the last month or so! Greenies would love me dead I'm sure. Nowt much beats sitting in an airport watching some rep types juggling a 15-17" laptop and bags. I just close my netbook over an sling it in my man bag ;)

Different people have different needs though I guess.

Back
Top Bottom