Making most efficient use of partitions?

Soldato
I'm about to do a full format and reinstall of XP and would like some input on how to best partition my drive for performance. The disk itself is 200GB so previously I've split it into one 30gb drive for XP, and two equally split partitions for Program Files and storage.

I don't have all that many programs though and am not that big a gamer, so was going to have a smaller 40-50gb partition for programs and use the rest for storage (mainly ripped mp3s).

Associate
If you only have 1 drive then all your really doing is making it easier for you to manage. All the partitions are still accessing the same physical drive so its all dependant on that drive.

Soldato
i always install my programs and games on the partition as windows. no point in putting them on a separate partition because if you ever re-install windows, you've got to re-install the software anyway...... there are a few exceptions of course such as apps that you simply download, unzip and run.

so i just have 30gb as my windows partition which is plenty to install all my program files/games as well. then the rest is for data. :)

Soldato
Games don't have to be re-installed, many programs do though. I keep all my games on a seperate partition, never had a problem with formatting and reinstalling Windows. They always work.

Back
Top Bottom