making pc safe for kids use

Associate
hi people, i have got 2 pcs for the kids in my house, old dell gx270 desktops and 22" monitors, the kids are 11, 10 and 8.

they are not pc savvy but i want to set each pc so they cant add or remove programs or delete any files from the wrong places etc, i am happy for them to use the internet but i want to block sites like you tube, basically i would rather only 'allow' certain sites after i check them rather than only banning certain ones.

whats the best way to do this, i have been using pcs for 9 years but this is the first time i have had to do anything like this :)

Soldato
you can use the in built parental controls in Vista/Win 7 to do much of what you ask

You can limit access to websites by blocking specific sites or only allowing ones you want, you can also limit access times and such as well.

Best way to stop them messing aroung too much is probably to give them local user accounts to work with, this way they will be unable to do anything that requires admin rights without your being there.

Associate
Others said everythin you need. Almost everything.

Kids are smart... For my friend's son, it took 1 year to break internet limitations (he is 14).
Kid just got somewhere linux booting from cd :)

Back
Top Bottom