Malifaux?

Associate
Hi all, Does anyone play Malifaux? Watched a battle report last night then did some research. Love the lore and setting, the models look great and the mechanics of the game look very interesting.
Would you recommend getting into it?

Caporegime
Haven't played it myself but I know quite a few that do. I really want to paint some, seems like every time I see an interesting model lately and I ask where it's from the answer is Malifaux!

Associate
I play it, I went for it because of the miniatures, the lore, the card mechanic just interested me, and the fact you can have an 'army' with 5-10 models. It suits my budget (and painting speed :D) and it feels more... I don't know the word. I seem to 'get into it more', using less figures and knowing their names and back story more, rather than moving 100 nameless marines across a table. With the objectives, and schemes, and equipment, it just seems more RPG-eque almost, I feel more involved with the characters and the world. I play Resurrections.

Associate
OP
I play it, I went for it because of the miniatures, the lore, the card mechanic just interested me, and the fact you can have an 'army' with 5-10 models. It suits my budget (and painting speed :D) and it feels more... I don't know the word. I seem to 'get into it more', using less figures and knowing their names and back story more, rather than moving 100 nameless marines across a table. With the objectives, and schemes, and equipment, it just seems more RPG-eque almost, I feel more involved with the characters and the world. I play Resurrections.

I am with you. Much prefer a squad based party. I prefer the squad based mechanics of computer RPG's as well. It's like you get more attached to the characters, they're little quirks, and skills etc :)
I think I'll get into it :) What do I need to get me started, is there a starter kit etc?

Associate
Resurrectionists* I meant to say, silly auto-correct.

To get started might depend on who you're playing with and what they already have. As a minimum you will need 1x crew box (they're the boxes with MalifauX on the front, with 5 or so miniatures in for ~£30. You might also need the rule book and a Fate deck, depending what your opponent has you could borrow these. Pick a faction and crew you like the look of.

The other way is to buy the 'Malifaux 2nd Edition Starter Set' for about £40 which includes everything you need for a small (8 models) 2-player battle, including rules and 2 Fate decks.

In case you didn't know: Wyrd released Malifaux second edition (M2E) in 2013. The models from the first edition still work in the second edition, but you will need second edition stat cards for them to play in a second edition game - you'll have to buy 'upgrade' packs if you do this. If a box says M2E on it, it's second edition and already includes the second edition stat cards inside.

Associate
OP
Resurrectionists* I meant to say, silly auto-correct.

To get started might depend on who you're playing with and what they already have. As a minimum you will need 1x crew box (they're the boxes with MalifauX on the front, with 5 or so miniatures in for ~£30. You might also need the rule book and a Fate deck, depending what your opponent has you could borrow these. Pick a faction and crew you like the look of.

The other way is to buy the 'Malifaux 2nd Edition Starter Set' for about £40 which includes everything you need for a small (8 models) 2-player battle, including rules and 2 Fate decks.

In case you didn't know: Wyrd released Malifaux second edition (M2E) in 2013. The models from the first edition still work in the second edition, but you will need second edition stat cards for them to play in a second edition game - you'll have to buy 'upgrade' packs if you do this. If a box says M2E on it, it's second edition and already includes the second edition stat cards inside.

Cheers kiyoshi. Found a great vid of whats in the 2 edition box with a gameplay demonstration :)
I like the fact the models in the box are mercenary and can be used to help bolster a faction army, Just have to decide what faction I should choose now haha :)
Will have to find a friend to get into the game with me as well..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR6XlkifQ0c#t=208.076

Associate
Hi. I play malifaux with a few friends. We got into it cause the minature count is lower about 8-9 for a 50ss game.

Its a cool game, lots of good skills and factions.

Its kinds like a strategy rpg cause you have hidden agendas you have to complete.

only thing i dont like is the luck aspect from the deck of cards.

Great to get into though and cheap

Associate
OP
Hi. I play malifaux with a few friends. We got into it cause the minature count is lower about 8-9 for a 50ss game.

Its a cool game, lots of good skills and factions.

Its kinds like a strategy rpg cause you have hidden agendas you have to complete.

only thing i don't like is the luck aspect from the deck of cards.

Great to get into though and cheap

Cheers Disco, I joined the Wyrd Forum and downloaded the PDF Rulebook.
I can now follow along using the rulebook while I watch battle reports. Makes a lot more sense already.
Am thinking of creating 2 crews, Neverborn and Outcasts.
Am asking around in the Wyrd forums, trying to meet other players in my area :), and hopefully a game on Vassal over the net.

Back
Top Bottom