Malware problems

Associate
Hi, i have a frends computer that is infected with fraudware. Given how slow its running, i suspect this is just the tip of the iceberg. The problem i am having is that i've booted in 'safe mode with networking' and installed Malwarebytes and updated it, but the scan seems to end unusually quick and comes up with nothing. My next port of call was to boot the computer with a minixp cd and run an updated portable scanner (clamwin) but this too seems to end unusually early with no infections.

If something is interupting my scans in both safe mode and an external operating system, what is the process to stop this happening so the scanners can do their job? I suspect an infected boot area. but what do i need to do from here so my scanning tools can work?

Associate
OP
Ran TDSSKiller in safe mode - It came up with nothing. RKill didn't stop any known processes either. Something must have hijacked the network connectivity of the computer. I basically reset everything network/protocol related, rebooted back into safe mode and now Malwarebytes is coming up with the positives.

Back
Top Bottom