Man tasered in front of his kid at petrol station

Man of Honour
I have a friend that has had a few altercations with the police and it takes a good few of them and one hell of a commotion to get him to the floor. Without that taser it would have taken both of them to try to floor him and then that could have gone really bad especialy with a child involved.

This is what I don't think some people appreciate - though they probably should have waited for more police but then I don't know the real world situation in that regard. If it needed both officers to deal with the guy the child could have come to harm. Tasing him was the safest option for everyone involved as he wasn't cooperating.

Man of Honour
Surely using a taser or any use of extreme force should only be used in extreme circumstances - ie a clear and present danger to either a third party, the police or even the perp (ie self harm). From what I can see in the video none of these were a factor in the decision making.

Taser isn't 'extreme force', it's taught to be a similar level of force to incapacitant spray and is usually considered before looking at strikes or baton which is considered a higher level of force.

Associate
I'm outraged that exactly what was warned will happen has happened. When Tasers were first considered for the UK, they were touted as being a replacement in situations where the police would have previously used more deadly force. An example at the time I remember was someone having a mental health crisis and waving a knife at the police - previously they would have had no other tools in the box but to shoot the person. The idea was that you could taser them and get rid of the knife, without probably killing the person.

At the time there was considerable opposition having seen in the USA that Tasers are routinely used to make people do what the police are telling them. Exactly that has happened now. He didn't have a weapon. He wasn't posing an immediate threat. He was non-compliant (maybe even drunk) - that was promised not to the scenario that tasers would be used.

My Dad was a copper for a while so I have an inbuilt respect for the cops. Its a bloody tough job. But give someone a hammer and soon all of the problems they face start to look like nails. Use of tasers needs to be seriously scaled back to what was promised when they were introduced.

Caporegime
Doesn't seem the best idea to use a taser at a petrol station, should have just broken out the baton.

Completely depends on the type of taser, some do not cause a spark.

Exactly that has happened now. He didn't have a weapon. He wasn't posing an immediate threat. He was non-compliant (maybe even drunk) - that was promised not to the scenario that tasers would be used.

Drunk person using a child as a hostage, yeah totally not a threat to anyone. :rolleyes:

A taser isn't life threatening (in most circumstances) is it? Sure, it may have been unpleasant for the child to see but at least it was handled the UK way and not the American way!

Can cause fatal cardiac arrhythmias in susceptible individuals, about 50 people a year die from tasers in the US. It's rare though considering the number of people tasered.

There are also other risks of injuries from falls which can be more serious than the use of a baton.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Completely depends on the type of taser, some do not cause a spark.

I find that hard to believe considering how they work.

Can cause fatal cardiac arrhythmias in susceptible individuals, about 50 people a year die from tasers in the US. It's rare though considering the number of people tasered.

There are also other risks of injuries from falls which can be more serious than the use of a baton.

I'm going to need citations for both of those please.

As our resident man in blue I'd be interested in your take on this...?

I can't really easily comment on the use of force as the video doesn't really show all that much. There was a press statement showing a load of driving offences including fail to stop, so depending on all the stuff that happened prior, I could see this being justifiable.

The only thing I can say with certainty is I really feel for that kid. That's a really awful thing to have to see at such a young age.

Soldato
OP
I can't really easily comment on the use of force as the video doesn't really show all that much. There was a press statement showing a load of driving offences including fail to stop, so depending on all the stuff that happened prior, I could see this being justifiable.

The only thing I can say with certainty is I really for for that kid. That's a really awful thing to have to see at such a young age.
Have linked an earlier part of the video if that helps context?

Permabanned
Has two left shoes put her mottie in yet? ;) In the good old days of GMP under James Anderton he'd have been thrown in the back of a police van and a dog sent in to "calm him down". They are getting soft under pressure from the Twitterati.

Last edited:
Soldato
Having seen the consequences of drunk driving first hand (my dad was hit by a drunk driver when I was a few weeks old, and suffered life changing injuries as a result) they probably should have emptied a canister of CS into his eyes as well once they had him cuffed. **** this guy.

Soldato
Nah I still would have posted it.

Question is, if he was white, would it have happened in the first place?

Oh wait that's what you're getting at!

If the circumstances were the same of course, it happens, the videos just don't get circulated because it isn't going to cause a massive storm of attention. No one is bothered about uploading a video of some white bloke getting tasered because he wasn't compliant with Police, it's not interesting or news worthy.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
If the circumstances were the same of course, it happens, the videos just don't get circulated because it isn't going to cause a massive storm of attention. No one is bothered about uploading a video of some white bloke getting tasered because he wasn't compliant with Police, it's not interesting or news worthy.
Nonsense. The issue here is the man being tasered in front of his child. His race is completely irrelevant. Unless you choose it not to be, of course.

Back
Top Bottom