Map A Drive on a Different Subnet

Soldato
Hopefully, I've got the correct terminology. For one reason of another, I have a file server on a different access point than my main PC. If my fileserver is 192.168.2.X and I'm on 192.168.1.Y can I still (easily) map a drive from the file server? (I can't ping one from the other, either way round :()

It's not the end of the world if I can't, but would be nice if I can :cool:

Soldato
Hopefully, I've got the correct terminology. For one reason of another, I have a file server on a different access point than my main PC. If my fileserver is 192.168.2.X and I'm on 192.168.1.Y can I still (easily) map a drive from the file server? (I can't ping one from the other, either way round :()

It's not the end of the world if I can't, but would be nice if I can :cool:
You'll need to allow access on your router.

Man of Honour
I think you are probably going to need 2 different network interfaces on the PC and at least one of them using static routing to make this work if you are trying to do what I think. (I think you can also accomplish it using VLANs).

EDIT: Or as dlockers said with a subnet bodge.

Last edited:
Soldato
You guys are missing the context and possibly over-complicating the solution - why are there 2 different subnets just because there is more than one access point? If there is one router then why not simplify and have everything on the same subnet?

What is your router and access point setup?

Last edited:
Associate
You guys are missing the context and possibly over-complicating the solution - why are there 2 different subnets just because there is more than one access point? If there is one router then why not simplify and have everything on the same subnet?

Not saying this is happening here but I often come across daisy chained domestic routers used to extend wifi coverage. Lan port to > wan port etc.

Before knowing that's happening it's great fun trying to remotely diagnose WTF is going on.

Soldato
Not saying this is happening here but I often come across daisy chained domestic routers used to extend wifi coverage. Lan port to > wan port etc.

Before knowing that's happening it's great fun trying to remotely diagnose WTF is going on.

Yep my guess is multiple routers as well but worth asking. Could be as simple as putting the secondary in a bridge mode. Would also avoid other potential issues.

Associate
Yeah, bridge mode if possible. Sometimes I give them a fixed ip outside of the 1st routers dhcp range and make sure dhcp is turned off. Can daisy chain them all day long then and they are all on the same ip range.

Soldato

He dealt with the context in the 2nd sentence, I just chose to move on.

Soldato
OP
why are there 2 different subnets just because there is more than one access point?
Makes sense I guess. Sorry, I don't really know much about networking.
Yes, sorry, it's two routers. BT Homehub 5 as the modem, a few PC's off this one, then an old ASUS router connected to that (which connects to a VPN). Do I just ask the ASUS to take its IP from the Homehub like any other network device would?

Associate
Makes sense I guess. Sorry, I don't really know much about networking.

Yes, sorry, it's two routers. BT Homehub 5 as the modem, a few PC's off this one, then an old ASUS router connected to that (which connects to a VPN). Do I just ask the ASUS to take its IP from the Homehub like any other network device would?

That should work yes. Turn off DHCP on the asus router and connect it lan port to lan port with the HH5.

Unsure if the VPN will get upset. Maybe set the asus up as the master router in your lan and have the HH as the slave?

Back
Top Bottom