Maplins?

Associate
My first ever job was at Maplins in my collage years, many a happy memory working there. It was a very confusing shop even back then, it couldn't decide if it was a hobby shop selling electrical parts or a toy shop. I am shocked its still going tbh.

Soldato
Emergency buys, people that don't know any better.

They aren't too bad on standard rechargeable batteries.

Definitley good for emergency buys, the safe broke in my shop once, and i had to build a quick rig to charge the unit from the outside, a few wires, batteries + housing and couplings later and i was in.

Permabanned
I went in there once and there was a woman in her late 50s trying to tell me that if I wanted a USB male to female extension cable and it was over 2 meters I'd need a special adapter. God knows what she was smoking other than that she must have thought I was some idiot who she could get a sale out of.

The demographic that use Maplin are obviously not clued up about PC tech.

Associate
When I was at 6th form I bought some stuff from Maplin. A metal box and a laser for my burgular alarm i was making in electronics. It didnt work. Got an E. Screw Maplins

Soldato
I went in there once and there was a woman in her late 50s trying to tell me that if I wanted a USB male to female extension cable and it was over 2 meters I'd need a special adapter. God knows what she was smoking other than that she must have thought I was some idiot who she could get a sale out of.

The demographic that use Maplin are obviously not clued up about PC tech.

The specification for USB does define max cable lengths and in some cases the max is only 3 metres. Just because your device would probably work fine over those limits doesn't mean she was technically wrong.

Soldato
I thought it was obvious, and you've already answered your own question with this statement;

"[...] £3.99 wont have it today [...]"

The premium you pay is the price to be able to wander into a shop and buy it there and then.

Man of Honour
For when people need things instantly. Amazon same day must be hurting them though and once Amazon have drone deliveries surely that will be the end of such companies.

Associate
When I was a kid the Maplin catalogue was essential reading / desk space! It was the go to bible for anything electronic 10 years before the internet. The size of a phone directory at the time and contained everything - wanted a disco lights electronics kit - they had it - wanted red or green LED's or a foam cup modem for pre-digital phones, they had it.

The funny thing is they had no shops back then, they have gone the opposite direction to everyone else, from mail order to retail.... for me though a childhood great!

Caporegime
There are usually some very strange looking people in Maplins. The one in Brighton used to have the man/woman thingy working in the warehouse. He/she/shim knew their stuff though, if you ever had to ask for something.

Ahh yes, Lily Stone.
Used to work with her.
*puts on gruff manly voice*
Hello IT, Lily speaking. I'll just put you through to one of the boys. :p

Caporegime
They exist for when you need random stuff right-now because you've screwed up your CPC order

This to be honest.

Was waiting on some super cheap ram from Amazon but the delivery date keeps getting pushed back and back and needed some this weekend and a Maplin store i was driving past actually had a very good price on some DDR4 g skill stuff which was a surprise. Reserved it and collected it an hour later and all is good.

hux

hux

Soldato
Try hellfrauds.

H1 bulb cheapest is £8, Amazon just shy of £7 for 10 of the things.

Bit of a joke really.

You were doing it wrong. When I was a kid the lingerie section of the Gratton's catalogue was essential reading :D

Aah yes, the great game of spot the nipple. :D

Back
Top Bottom