US: Marco Polo

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Initial reviews of this was that it wasn’t very good.

If I recall rightly it was something like, "If you have nothing else to do on a Sunday afternoon, then you could watch this if you wanted too"

You guys are saying it's worth a watch?

yup kinda describes the show.... its got beautiful scenery but it was kinda lacking something in season 1 but overall a good and interesting premise and show. Season 2 has been renewed despite average ratings.

Its a bit like Constantine series its not done so well in its return with its ratings and execs are looking to chop it. People are more intrigued with a show with characters with more depth not to mention super powers always helps :)

Associate
I liked the little stories and quotes in the show like The Hundred Eyes "Kung Fu means supreme skill from hard work". Prince Jingim story on patience and hunting. Really happy that it has got renewed, I think they can focus a lot more on character development and I like that Marco Polo isn't really the main character.

Soldato
Just finished watching this. I feel the critics were overly harsh tbh, My thoughts:

* Overall its a very good show. Though only picks up at episode 4.
* Characters are brilliant in particular Jia Sidao, Hundred Eyes and Kublai Khan are wonderfully acted.
* The production value is incredible, you can tell a significant amount of money has gone into it. Sets look real, gorgeous backdrops and the whole picture is full of detail. equal if not better than GOT production I would say.
* For such a crazy amount of money spent, I struggle to see why some important battle scenes are cut short or simply not shown at all. (There doesn't even need to be battles at all , but if you spend 4 episodes setting it up , its normally a good idea to show the event.)
* Nudity is done well and tastefully.
* More drug scenes! That was crazy cool.
* The martial art scenes were very well done, and just the right level of OTT without looking ridiculous.

Overall I enjoyed it and looking forward to the second season. The first season definitely found its feet imo just quite late, and I am sure the writing team will take on board a lot of the criticism to make a tighter Season 2.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Just finished the series and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's just a shame there will be no Jia Sidao next season, him and 100 eyes were by far my favourite characters.

Soldato
Jia Sidao and 100 eyes fight at the end was one of the best fights i've seen in many years, better than any of the dross coming out of China Cinema in a long while.

Caporegime
I forgot to post back here after I finished the series the other month. As posters above said, the production values of this were just great. Characters were perfectly written and convincing for the world it created (if you of course ignore historical accuracy)... 100 eyes was a wonderfully envisioned creation who I just could not get enough of, and his fight scenes were fantastic. Jublai Khan is hugely likeable and very human. Marco Polo is not the stand-out character imo, but not offensive either. The actors were also very well cast, I could not really seriously fault a single one, at least none stood out to me as particularly annoying in any way, besides perhaps Ahmad the minister of finance who in my opinion could have been done a tad better and more convincingly.

Very much looking forward to Season 2! :)

Soldato
In my opinion Marco Polo himself didn't stand out too much because everyone else was just so damn good, but that's a very good thing, the series had a very balanced feel because of it

Permabanned
The production value probably felt so high because it was. $90 million to make the first season, more than Game of Thrones costs to make at a mere $60 million :p

Back
Top Bottom