Marshall DSL401

Permabanned
Hi,

Im thinking of getting a marshall DSL401. I have been playing the guitar for just over 2 years now and i like to play all sorts! Rock stuff like AC/DC, guns n roses and some metal stuff like ozzy osbourne and black label society (zakk wylde). On the other hand i also like some bluesy type music every once in a while.

My guitars are an epiphone g400 and an epiphone les paul custom (zakk wylde signiture).

What are your opinions on the DSL401 amp? I have heard of quite a few people having reliability issues with this amp which worries me a bit. Also problems with it overheating and some people say it sounds a bit crap out of the box.

My current amp is a marshall MG30DFX.

Opinion appreciated, particularly if you have/had/used one. :)

Soldato
They're good amps, very loud for bedroom practise though as to get the most out of any valve amp you've got to crank it.

Good classic rock distortion and the cleans are decent enough, if you look second hand you'll be able to get one super cheap. It'll be loads better than your MG series.

Permabanned
OP
Andelusion said:
They're good amps, very loud for bedroom practise though as to get the most out of any valve amp you've got to crank it.

Good classic rock distortion and the cleans are decent enough, if you look second hand you'll be able to get one super cheap. It'll be loads better than your MG series.
Cranking it up isnt a problem ;) :D

Ive looked at some second hand but then it worries me more about any issues and how old the tubes are in it. What sort of price would you say a second hand dsl401 is worth if it was in good condition?

Associate
I reckon the DSL's just a wee bit lacking in flexibility- if you like its basic sounds, that's grand though... I looked at one but eventually went with a Vox AD60, since it's good enough at the marshall-esque models but does so much more. Unless you're very set on one sound, I reckon today's valve amps give a lot more than they take away. AD120's a bit better, better speaker enclosure and 2x12 instead of just 1.

Associate
Another thumbs up for the DSL from me. I love the distortion i get from it, it's exactly what i'm looking for. I preferred the clean channel of the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe but didn't really like the distortion on that, the Marshall does a better job all round (in my opinion) and its about £100 cheaper if i remember rightly.

Back
Top Bottom