Marvell motherboard drivers??? x58a-ud7

Associate
Hi All,

i have an ever so old Motherboard a Gigabyte x58a-ud7 ( rev 1 i think) i currently have my samsung 840 EVO SSD 500gig on the intel 3GB/s Sata2 connectors for the boot. i tried long ago putting it on the 6 GB/s Marvell one which is on the Motherboard. it worked but was so unstable at the time that it had to move it back and have less speed :( .

i have just bought another SSD a Evo 870 1tb as it was cheap atm and want extra space as my main drive.

i have a strange desire to try out the 6GB/s sata connectior again but i am wondering what update / BIOS update is avalible that might make this more stable or i am wondering if the Marvell drivers were doomed from the get go and allways will be and i shouldn't bother.

would dearly love the extra speed as i am only getting 280 mb/s with the 840 nowadays as its old but otherwise in "good" condition.

Thanks for your help

Paul

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ok, well i have updated the Marvell drivers to a newer driver and i have switched it over to the Sata3 port and my Speed is 409 Mb/s which is better. However Samsung Magician now no longer has any data on the 870 and says N/A. it does not report the status of the drives health and a lot of the other menus like preformance optimizations are no longer avalible, which were before.
i checked the BIOS and ACHI mode is enabled on SATA ports. not sure if keeping it in the sata 3 port is a good idea. can anyoe hlep me out here on what i should do?

Thanks

P

Associate
I’d stick with the intel ports. In fact I did when I had to make the choice a few years back. Peak throughout will be higher with the marvel - but if you run an Assd benchmark you will probably find the tests which are more representative of general use-age to favour the intel ports. I went and stayed with the intel ports in the end.

Back
Top Bottom