Massive Car insurance costs?

Soldato
I do think that keyless entry and keyless start is a solution to something that was not a problem anyway.

You need to be in the car to drive it, and if you have the physical capability to drive then you're very likely to have the manual dexterity to insert a key and turn it.

I suppose not having to retrieve a key from your pocket/bag, press a button, then put it in the ignition and turn it will be a tiny bit more convenient, but is this extra layer of technology that is so open to exploitation worth it? I don't think so.
I keep my key in a faraday pouch, so keyless entry is actually less convenient than just having a key...

Associate
I do think that keyless entry and keyless start is a solution to something that was not a problem anyway.
You need to be in the car to drive it, and if you have the physical capability to drive then you're very likely to have the manual dexterity to insert a key and turn it.

Agreed 100%

At the time keyless entry/start was intoduced it was a catchy gimmick to sell cars.
Nowadays the new catchy gimmick should be to go back to key into a key barrel with whatever additional security can be hard coded into the key.

All this computerised guff in cars adds to the complexity of stuff to go wrong.
If anyone did some type of analysis on car maintenance/service/repair costs pre all this computerised guff compared to now with adjustments for inflation the scale of the consumer rip off might start to be revealed.

The main beneficiaries from all this modern tech are the car manufacturers, increased cost of parts/servicing/repairs and sale of new cars when the car gets nicked which them bumps up insurance.
The whole thing is a scam starting at the factory and ending up at the certificate of insurance.

Soldato
All down to lean manufacturing and penny pinching to give more money to shareholders. It actually costs more to make a proper ignition barrel with a key then some switch and fob.

Plus what do the manufacturers care? A stolen car to them is another potential sale. It is only now that companies are refusing to insure JLR products for example that they have started to do something about it.

Mobile tech has been there for a decade. They could quite easily equip cars with pin/facial/fingerprint recognition for very little cost.

Don't matter what tech is there, it's how easy it is to spoof or bypass all together. My colleague's Lexus was taken from the work carpark. Not in 60 seconds, more like 20

OcUK Staff
Started checking for my partners car renewal, was £378 last year and cheapest I found online was £465, in the meantime the renewal from the company came through and to my shock was £349. Once I'd got back up from the floor I pushed that through and paid in full just in case it was an error :D

Soldato
All down to lean manufacturing and penny pinching to give more money to shareholders. It actually costs more to make a proper ignition barrel with a key then some switch and fob.

Plus what do the manufacturers care? A stolen car to them is another potential sale. It is only now that companies are refusing to insure JLR products for example that they have started to do something about it.

Mobile tech has been there for a decade. They could quite easily equip cars with pin/facial/fingerprint recognition for very little cost.
Imo when it gets to this point, manufacturers should offer insurance at a reasonable rate (read that as losing money), then they will quickly improve security.

Caporegime
The cost of insuring young drivers is scary. Up around 4k and a bit to insure my partners 20 year old lad who just passed his test.

What is he driving!?

I have quotes for my daughter who will be 17 in September and the usual suspects (Fiesta,Up,500 etc) are coming up between 1-2k. Even still you are looking at 6k+ to learn to drive and get in a car. My daughter will be working in the fields over the summer that is for sure!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
What is he driving!?

I have quotes for my daughter who will be 17 in September and the usual suspects (Fiesta,Up,500 etc) are coming up between 1-2k. Even still you are looking at 6k+ to learn to drive and get in a car. My daughter will be working in the fields over the summer that is for sure!
It’s cheaper before they pass their test (and for females) and will go up when she passes.

Associate
I'm with Aviva last years £450 this year £620 and that includes a 15% discount for using the My Drive App and register 96% safe driving

I went on compare the market, I can get Aviva Zero for £490 - It's crazy

Soldato
That was after she passed. I was lying about her age to see what quotes she would get as I am planning to get something/project over the summer and do it up.
Yep my mrs recently passed and it ballooned mainly as a new driver driving alone I suspect compared to before where she had to drive with me. She'd argue she's a better driver without me backseat driving :D

Last edited:
Associate
£310 last year, £506 this year. Not a happy bunny as that is a 63% increase! No difference apart from one extra year no claims discount. Going to wait a week then run some comparisons as that will make it due in 3 weeks.

Settled on £390 after a phone call. It's a big increase, but at least still under the £400 mark.

Soldato
Well after hitting the comparison sites, followed by an hour or more of entering my details with half a dozen prospective insurers. About the best I can do is £405.10 down form this years renewal quote of £453.65 but still a fair hike on last years £313. The £405 includes breakdown cover, remove that and stand alone insurance is around £320. I'm old-school and if possible I like to actually speak to someone to see if any more discounts can be squeezed out of them. But it's crazy the amount of insurers make it difficult to find a contact number. If there is one it's buried in some nested menu.

One company 'Allianz' (Part of the LV group) does online insurance. Everything via the website zero customer support. They did actually come in cheapest but I do like being able to talk to someone if things go ****-up.

Soldato
I got my 19yr old son's quote down from £2458 on a 2020 focus ST-line X to £1790 with Hasting , after no joy on comparisons sites I decided to ring Hasting who he is currently with and got near £600 knocked off on the renewal .

Soldato
Just reinsured my X5 M50i. It was £1350 last year which I thought was taking the mickey. Gone up 40% this year and the cheapest I can get is £2100. 50yrs old, 3 points from 2020 and one claim from when my last car was repaired after being stolen and recovered last year.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom