Massive Car insurance costs?

Caporegime
Work this one out - My renewal Price on Admiral Multicar was £800 for a Polestar 2 and £1355 for a GV70.

You can only use your no claims bonus on one car, so it was against the Polestar 2.

The Polestar 2 has gone (Very recently) and my renewal is in about 10 days.

I thought that removing the Polestar 2 and putting all my 17 years no claims discount against the GV70 would bring that price down significantly, but for that car on it's own they want £1600! It's gone up £250!

I know there is a multicar discount I've lost, but it still makes no sense.

Soldato
Just had my first one through at around 35% increase from about 500 to just a bit over 800 on lexus ux :(
Annoyingly it means the other car will probably have to be paid monthly at more cost for the cash flow. Due a payrise in work and pretty much whatever is on the cards has gone over these and nursery fee increases. Oh what a time to sustain a lifestyle.

Soldato
Work this one out - My renewal Price on Admiral Multicar was £800 for a Polestar 2 and £1355 for a GV70.

You can only use your no claims bonus on one car, so it was against the Polestar 2.

The Polestar 2 has gone (Very recently) and my renewal is in about 10 days.

I thought that removing the Polestar 2 and putting all my 17 years no claims discount against the GV70 would bring that price down significantly, but for that car on it's own they want £1600! It's gone up £250!

I know there is a multicar discount I've lost, but it still makes no sense.
When I was selling one of my 2 cars in 2022, I had 1 year and 3 years no claims between them. Admiral were so mixed up by this scenario that apparently it would be £27 more expensive to keep the 3 years on my main car. So they gave me £27 discount to free up my longer NCB for use on my next car. Go figure.

Last edited:
Associate
My renewal from Direct Line for my M850i is £1800, up from £640 last year :( Best I can do on comparison sites is about £1500. I knew I was on a good deal, but this is rubbish.

ETA: No claims or points.
Tesco popped up on comparison sites at just under £1k today, so I signed up straight away. Still a steep increase on last year but much better than over £1500 from anywhere else!

Soldato
It just feels like a lottery this year with them just picking random figures out of the ether. Renewal quote came through at £453 up from last years £313 so over 40% hike. Rang them up and that's their best offer, end of conversation. So a couple of days trawling the comparison sites and around £405 was the best I was seeing. Just out of interest I entered my details into my current insurers site and it comes back with £430. Not much cheaper, but cheaper than they'd offered.

So I rang them again to query the difference. Chap I spoke to this time couldn't be more helpful. After a few minutes he says he can do it for £342 with better breakdown cover, includes Home-start on this quote. I don't know what lesson to take from that other than don't trust the online quotes as being the best on offer.

Soldato
I entered my details into my current insurers site and it comes back with £430. Not much cheaper, but cheaper than they'd offered.
you managed to get a quote at your current insurer, providing all the true details ? AA site seems to quickly say, that that, is already insured by us.
but , yes, I don't get this I thought they were meant to offer same price for new customers but comparison sites had been showing me something like £100 more than my renewal from same company.

Increasingly I laboriously enter details into the individual insurers sites because the premiums differ significantly from comparison sites

Soldato
you managed to get a quote at your current insurer, providing all the true details ?
Yup. Made a point of entering details as per previous years quote. To be fair it won't be the first time "if ever" I've rang to check the quote and got a better deal. That's why I don't like the never-ending push to do everything online. The "check the box if you don't want auto-renewal" is also a bit shady in my book. I think the AA had their fingers smacked for it a few years back.

Last edited:
Soldato
My m140i renewal came through today from Admiral. Had a no fault accident (other party) back in July. Got a couple of mods declared on the car.

Last year's cost was £722.

Renewal price was £1216.

Bit of time spent on price comparison websites and I've managed to get that down to £917 with Sterling Insurance. Approx £200 increase as opposed to the do nothing option and pay £500 more.

Last edited:
Soldato
my main complication will be we have a multicar police and with house insurance with Admiral.

so it wont be as simple as getting 1 quote, i will have to get one quote for my car with my wife as named 2nd driver, another quote for my wifes car with me as a 2nd driver and then house insurance as well .

so my hope is (and its worked every year from now) is i phone admiral up and explain that i have been with them for a decade and none of us have had any accidents which were our fault , is that the absolute best they can do as i will be using their quote as a benchmark for me leaving them.

after a bit of number juggling they have so far (touch wood) always come down to a price i found acceptable.

currently our car insurance is about £850 on an i3 and an ipace, and our house insurance around £300..... anything above £1500 for the whole lot and I will have to look to leave, esp when you consider my ipace was insured at a value of £35k, but is now worth probably £26k..

I will find out in a month

Last edited:
Soldato
Tesco popped up on comparison sites at just under £1k today, so I signed up straight away. Still a steep increase on last year but much better than over £1500 from anywhere else!
Just tried mine on Tesco, came back at around £2600 for me. I guess the theft last year is driving mine up along with the increased risk with SUVs currently.

Soldato
£519 this year to insure my modified Megane Trophy, using Greenlight insurance. Can't really grumble at that.
Yep way better than mine! Over £1300 despite never ever having a single claim in my life! up from just over £700 last year when my RS was brand new :eek:.....insurers tell me its because they are now getting massive cost increases (from EV's & more cars on the roads than ever before I am guessing!) so everyone has to cough up apparently :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom