Massive Car insurance costs?

Man of Honour
Friend had his M2 comp nicked from the road last night, suspect it was the key relay tactic. He’s out looking for it but I don’t think he’ll have much luck sadly :(

Loads near us have been nicked this way. The last was an AMG GT parked on the road. Amazes me people don’t keep their keys in a pouch.

Associate
Loads near us have been nicked this way. The last was an AMG GT parked on the road. Amazes me people don’t keep their keys in a pouch.
Some people prefer not to have them break into the house looking for the key and woukd rather the car gets stolen.

I keep mine in a pouch and I'm ready to windmill anyone that tries to take them. :cool:

Man of Honour
Some people prefer not to have them break into the house looking for the key and woukd rather the car gets stolen.

I keep mine in a pouch and I'm ready to windmill anyone that tries to take them. :cool:

True, but for the most part it’s opportunistic. Few will break into the house when so many cars on the road can just be driven off.

Soldato
I'd like to believe this, but how do you know?
Because one requires a chancer with a bit of tech. The other requires the ability to physically get into a locked property, the belief that if they come face to face with the occupier that they will come out on top and the blatant disregard for innocent members of the public to ensure that they will do whatever it takes to ensure they either leave with your car or free to rob another day.

Last edited:
Associate
Because one requires a chancer with a bit of tech. The other requires the ability to physically get into a locked property, the belief that if they come face to face with the occupier that they will come out on top and the blatant disregard for innocent members of the public to ensure that they will do whatever it takes to ensure they either leave with your car or free to rob another day.
But how do you know one is small subset vs the other?

OcUK Staff
Tesco popped up on comparison sites at just under £1k today, so I signed up straight away. Still a steep increase on last year but much better than over £1500 from anywhere else!
Looks like Tesco are one of the very few insurers that aren't putting ridiculous prices on performance cars. They were at least £400 cheaper than anywhere else for my E63S. Worth trying directly on their website too, saved me another few hundred that way.

One of the first things I did was got a decent immobilizer and tracker fitted. Keys are in a box and if my missus's car isn't blocking it in on the drive it's got a steering wheel lock on. I do live in an area with generally low crime rates though but can never be too careful.

Associate
Excuse my ignorance; but on my current car you can disable the keyless/comfort entry by locking via the fob and the touching one of the door handles. Does this then negate the need for a faraday pouch/cage and relay attacks?

Soldato
£270 last year to £350 this year with Admiral. Asked them to offer a better deal and the best they can do is £320, still an increase of £50.

I'm considering switching via TCB, get £45 cashback and the base prices seem less.

Any of these worth considering or am I better off staying with Admiral and paying a bit more?

jrd9frE.png

Associate
£270 last year to £350 this year with Admiral. Asked them to offer a better deal and the best they can do is £320, still an increase of £50.

I'm considering switching via TCB, get £45 cashback and the base prices seem less.

Any of these worth considering or am I better off staying with Admiral and paying a bit more?

jrd9frE.png
from experience, hastings are fine, are a pain to get hold on the phone, but its a no frills policy and were brilliant when my car was written off 6 years ago.

go skippy I have heard bad things, south african based call Centre with very little customer services etiquette.

Soldato
Yep way better than mine! Over £1300 despite never ever having a single claim in my life! up from just over £700 last year when my RS was brand new :eek:.....insurers tell me its because they are now getting massive cost increases (from EV's & more cars on the roads than ever before I am guessing!) so everyone has to cough up apparently :rolleyes:
Gahhh! That's scary.

Did you get a better deal in the end? Funnily enough I was just logged on to compare the market and it reminded me that my Mégane (if I still owned it) would be up for renewal soon. So I clicked the button to get quotes and the cheapest is Aviva @£460ish

Soldato

did your comparison site quotes duplicate the £350 renewal you had had from admiral ....
if not, do you trust the comparison site quotes versus visiting insurance company sites directly and getting quotes

Back
Top Bottom