Master Socket gives better speeds but can't access it :(

Soldato
Hello

I'm on O2 at the moment. its giving me a download speed of 4.8MBs and upload of about 1.1MBs.

I've just tested it against the master socket and its given me a nice increase of 7.8MBs about again 1.1MBs.

Now i've got my study on the 2nd floor of the house and the master socket is on the ground floor.

See horrible pic below:

I want to keep the router in my study but be able to get good speeds. Without the obvious and dragging a large telephone cable can i get the speeds i want?

I can drag a telephone cable around the back of the house and drill in and out but thast the last thing i want to do. I might be able to run the cable along side the skirting or pass the corner of the carpets.

However with all of this in mind, does the long telephone cable actually reduce the speeds?

Soldato
OP
Most houses use the really cheap extension wiring that is not twisted pair. It's just, erm, "flat"... and is usually white.

Could you perhaps place your router downstairs where the master socket is. Then use some Powerline HomePlug adapters so you can connect it to your ethernet switch/hub (or PC) upstairs? Not the cheapest solution but should be more stable than going the wireless route and not as invasive as recabling your house.

It was what i was thinking but I need a N wireless router. I just want to know how much lag will i get when playing online with that method?

Back
Top Bottom