Master Socket gives better speeds but can't access it :(

Soldato
Hello

I'm on O2 at the moment. its giving me a download speed of 4.8MBs and upload of about 1.1MBs.

I've just tested it against the master socket and its given me a nice increase of 7.8MBs about again 1.1MBs.

Now i've got my study on the 2nd floor of the house and the master socket is on the ground floor.

See horrible pic below:

I want to keep the router in my study but be able to get good speeds. Without the obvious and dragging a large telephone cable can i get the speeds i want?

I can drag a telephone cable around the back of the house and drill in and out but thast the last thing i want to do. I might be able to run the cable along side the skirting or pass the corner of the carpets.

However with all of this in mind, does the long telephone cable actually reduce the speeds?

Soldato
That suggests one of 2 things.

A) You've got the ring cable wired on the extension and that's picking up a lot of noise or
B) The extension wiring is poor quality.

If you pop the lower half of the master socket off, is there 2 or 3 wires connected?
If it's 3, then cutting the ring wire may help you. It's usually the orange wire. You only need wires 2 and 5 connected in the back of the plate.

If that doesn't show any improvement then the cable for the extension itself maybe a little crappy. You might want to consider replacing it if you can.

Soldato
Most houses use the really cheap extension wiring that is not twisted pair. It's just, erm, "flat"... and is usually white.

Could you perhaps place your router downstairs where the master socket is. Then use some Powerline HomePlug adapters so you can connect it to your ethernet switch/hub (or PC) upstairs? Not the cheapest solution but should be more stable than going the wireless route and not as invasive as recabling your house.

Soldato
OP
Most houses use the really cheap extension wiring that is not twisted pair. It's just, erm, "flat"... and is usually white.

Could you perhaps place your router downstairs where the master socket is. Then use some Powerline HomePlug adapters so you can connect it to your ethernet switch/hub (or PC) upstairs? Not the cheapest solution but should be more stable than going the wireless route and not as invasive as recabling your house.

It was what i was thinking but I need a N wireless router. I just want to know how much lag will i get when playing online with that method?

Soldato
i had exactly same problem with ADSL service before, so i placed the router on ground floor, connected to master socket directly, hooked up with cat5e cable running up to upstairs throu the ceiling/floor and hide them with conduit(sp?). job done :)

edit: i tried with better telephone extension cable, never improved

Last edited:
Associate
i had exactly same problem with ADSL service before, so i placed the router on ground floor, connected to master socket directly, hooked up with cat5e cable running up to upstairs throu the ceiling/floor and hide them with conduit(sp?). job done :)

edit: i tried with better telephone extension cable, never improved

I did the same -- went from cheap telephone extension cord and a regular ADSL filter, to a filtered master socket (also worth considering for the OP) and ethernet/cat5e upstairs to the PC, sync more than doubled and disconnections went away completely.

Soldato

Thats exactly what I've also done - my router is downstairs about two inches from the master socket. PC room is upstairs, run (and hidden) cat5e from router to PC = Jobs done :D

Soldato
Just get a ex BT engineer out of your local paper to fit a new master socket?

Got one done in my last house cost £30.

Although I am sure BT don't like this.

I've just got a PS3 and wanted it connected by wire for higher transfer speeds I've just drilled a hole in the corner of the PVC window ( old well out of warranty) and then ran a cable into the front room were the ps3 is.

Last edited:
Associate
I would recommend using a sheilded telephone cable - using a RJ11 plug on the router end and direct hard wiring into a XTE-2005 filtered master socket on the other end. The Router should always have a Broadcom chipset with o2/BE.

Man of Honour
I have a very similar setup (master socket on ground floor, study on second floor).

I'd definitely recommend trying to find a home for your router downstairs rather than looking into telephone extensions. Simplest solution would be wireless although obviously you'll want to test this.

Back
Top Bottom