MasterCard secure change code

Soldato
I remember once a while back an E-Commerce website asked me to enter in my Master Card secure details. At the time I didn't have any so I set some up.

I haven't been asked for this code since. Maybe they've dropped this security measure?

I know what my code is, but I want to change it as I'm doing a security audit of all my accounts.

I cant see any where on the web how to change this code.

Soldato
If it's anything like Varified By Visa nonsense it can be changed on the actual screen it asks you if you chose forgot detials. I managed to turn it off for one of my Visa cards, the page appears and then redirects as if I'd entered the detials correctly :p

VbV uses a code, DoB and card post code iirc

Soldato
OP
If it's anything like Varified By Visa nonsense it can be changed on the actual screen it asks you if you chose forgot detials. I managed to turn it off for one of my Visa cards, the page appears and then redirects as if I'd entered the detials correctly :p

VbV uses a code, DoB and card post code iirc

:o That means I have to wait to make a purchase on a website that uses this security measure.

Soldato
3d secure has been removed pretty much. It use to protect the merchant... I don't think they care anymore. The friction to the customer outways the benefit.

Soldato
All online credit card transactions will be using 2fa soon if they aren't already. My last purchase required an authorisation code sending to my phone.

Commissario
Pretty much.

Be all 2fa soon. Banking is getting its act together.
I'm amazed it's taken this long.

Barclaycard's Mastercards (from memory although it may have been their Visa's) did a trial a year or two before they started the "VBV" or "securecode" screens where you had a chip and pin card and a card reader (that was basically identical to the Barclays Pin Sentry device) and it gave a one time code every time you used it.

I think back then it was thought too much effort/off putting for consumers.

Soldato
I'm amazed it's taken this long.

Barclaycard's Mastercards (from memory although it may have been their Visa's) did a trial a year or two before they started the "VBV" or "securecode" screens where you had a chip and pin card and a card reader (that was basically identical to the Barclays Pin Sentry device) and it gave a one time code every time you used it.

I think back then it was thought too much effort/off putting for consumers.

I think a simple push notification to your phone and an accept or decline option from you banking app would be fine for me. For other of older generations it might be infuriating

Caporegime
I couldnt stand that stuff. Always forgot whatever password I used because it came up so infrequently.
So every time I had to reset it.
Thank goodness for PayPal option

Soldato
All online credit card transactions will be using 2fa soon if they aren't already. My last purchase required an authorisation code sending to my phone.

That is going to be hideous constantly having to keep your phone by your computer and mess about receiving texts and typing stuff into little boxes. A big step backwards IMO. I find 2FA just a rung down from CAPTCHA in terms of annoyance.

Back
Top Bottom