Maths GCSE calculator paper?

Man of Honour
leonarmston said:
Always used to write pythagoras (sp) theorum on my black calculator with a pencil which could only been seen when shone at a certain angle :D
Lol?

No offence, but that isn't the most challenging of formulas to remmeber :)

Soldato
Solac said:
No, thats just the media choosing the easiest questions off the foundation paper and making everyone think GCSE's nowadays are a complete joke.
No, it isn't. They generally are.

I did mine in 2002. As a method of revising, we'd go through all the past papers dating back to sometimes as early as 1997. The 1997 papers in every subject were far, far harder than the 2001 papers. In German listening, for example, they spoke incredibly fast. In 2001, they spoke painfully slowly. In Electronics, the questions were harder, the syllabus was larger. In 2001, it was a piece of cake, and transistors were no longer in the course. In 2003, according to my teacher, they took op-amps off the syllabus (a major part of it) and added a coursework 'essay', which was a bit of a joke.

Same with maths - our class would wander in for our 1hr lesson, do a 1hr30 Edexcel maths paper, and nearly all would get A*s. Bearing it mind a 'C' at GCSE Higher Maths involved getting around 25%, the whole thing quickly decends into farce, as it involves getting most of the paper wrong. My sister got an A at GCSE last year, and she's quite frankly worryingly bad at maths, considering what results she's supposed to have achieved.

Take this along with the USM sliding grade boundaries in an almost random fashion to give the results curves they want, and it's no wonder that the results just keep getting better and better.

The same story at A-Level in all the subjects I did. Although if you do maths at A-Level, I suggest you don't unless you got a comfortable A* at GCSE. It's a bit of a shock. Although they recently took P1 & P2 and spread them out into C1, C2 & C3. So that's getting easier too.

Goto University and do something along the lines of Engineering, Physics and the like and you're going to have to spend the whole first year learning maths that used to be taught at A-Level to bring you up to the standards they require.

Good Luck to everyone anyway!

Soldato
csmager said:
Same with maths - our class would wander in for our 1hr lesson, do a 1hr30 Edexcel maths paper, and nearly all would get A*s. Bearing it mind a 'C' at GCSE Higher Maths involved getting around 25%, the whole thing quickly decends into farce, as it involves getting most of the paper wrong. My sister got an A at GCSE last year, and she's quite frankly worryingly bad at maths, considering what results she's supposed to have achieved.

Dont know what paper you did, im doing AQA higher and the boundary grades are

C = 55%
B = 65%
A = 72%
A* = 80%

Soldato
Solac said:
Dont know what paper you did, im doing AQA higher
From Edexcel's own publication, the 2000 boundaries for Edexcel Maths Higher were:

A* 79%
A 60%
B 41%
C 22%

So it's worse than I thought...

EDIT: Apparently last year, it was 15% for a C :rolleyes:

Soldato
Solac said:
wouldnt know about that exam board really, do AQA, seem a lot higher then them
All boards have to cover the same type of material and are regulated by the same body. So all you can deduce from that is the Edexcel paper must be harder... but I'm not going to comment, as I haven't seen it.

Associate
i believe its done so certain percentages get certain grades, so the actual boundries are fairly irrelevant

all exams are getting easier...

Associate
Im currently doing my 3rd Resit of GCSE maths, this time they have put me on a Modular course and i know iv screwed up 2/4 exams iv took. Probably going to be a 4th resit for me.

I just can't get my head around maths but subjects like English i can get A's no sweat. People think im stupid and i do feel stupid knowing im about to fail my 3rd resit but i revise solid and i haven't got that 'logical process' that Maths needs, and it will hold me back getting into universities aswell :mad:

Aod

Aod

Soldato
some people's brains just work differently to others.

if you cant really get your head around maths then it isn't really your fault is it?

Man of Honour
csmager said:
The same story at A-Level in all the subjects I did. Although if you do maths at A-Level, I suggest you don't unless you got a comfortable A* at GCSE. It's a bit of a shock. Although they recently took P1 & P2 and spread them out into C1, C2 & C3. So that's getting easier too.
Yep, and that really annoys me. At A2 level they now learn M1 and claim its 'really challenging'.

Eh? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom