Maths Help Please

Soldato
My brain is a bit slow today and needs some help.

I have a 10 inch diameter wheel which can give a speed of 4 mph at max revs - what would be the equation and result if I changed the diameter to 16 inches?

Thanks

Soldato
The distance you travel is a factor of the circumference of the wheel (we're going to assume no slippage between the road and the tyre).

The formula for the circumference is Circumference = pi * diameter.

So the circumference of the 10" wheel is: 31.4"
And the circumference of the 16" one is: 50.2"

If the wheel rotates at the same speed in both cases (max revs is fixed), then your speed would increase by the same factor as the circumference has increased. I.e. (50.2/31.4) * 4mph.

However, we don't actually need to do all this. The moment that we see the formula for circumference is pi * diameter, we can see that the circumference is going to increase in direct proportion to the diameter. I.e. if the diameter increases by a factor of 1.6, then the circumference increases by a factor of 1.6. And indeed we can see that 50.2/31.4 is 1.6. So basically, just multiply your mph by the same factor the diameter has increased by.

4mph * (16/10) = 6.4mph.

If the formula for circumference were something like pi * diameter squared, then that wouldn't be so. It would be a square of the factor, and so on. Hope that helps.

Associate
I hope this is right.
At maximum revs the rotational motion is constant irrespective of the wheel size (ignoring the mass of the wheel). This motion is termed 'angular velocity, w', which defined as the rate at which an angle of the wheel is subtended. This value will be the same at max revs.
The equation that links linear velocity (v) and angular velocity (w) is:
V = w x r
Where r is the radius of the wheel. Half the diameter. I.e. 10 inch is 5 inch radius, so 16 inch is 8 inch radius.

Calculate w = v/r = 4/5 = 0.8

So, new speed, v = w x r = 0.8 x 8 = 6.4 mph

Associate
Incidentally, the first responder mentioned velocity squared. This particularly applies to the drag force a vehicle experiences when travelling at higher speeds, like on motorways. At low speeds the drag force depends on velocity (not velocity squared).
On motorways, the optimum speed is about 60mph. Go faster than this will burn much more fuel as the 'velocity squared' factor kicks in.

Soldato
OP
Cheers all, much appreciated - its for swapping out the 10 inch wheels of a mobility scooter for 16 inch ones when I take the drive and put it in my boys jeep - torque wont be an issue (I think) as the mobility scooted was designed to pull 20-22 Stone, him and the jeep will be about half that.
Thanks again

Soldato
Amazed at how complicated people made this. :p Pi has nothing to do with it!

Diameter is 1.6 times the original diamiter

Circumference is therefore 1.6 times that of the original circumference,

Therefore, for same RPM, speed is 1.6 times original speed!

IE 6.4
OTOH, I did score over 40 on the autism test in the post I made earlier. So I dont always realise when people are taking the **** or not! :/

Associate
This is where you define a mathematical model to assume certain things. you could go into all sorts really such as friction of bearings, surface and drag.

I would do it lunars way but H4rm0ny's way is interesting.

Associate

IE 6.4
OTOH, I did score over 40 on the autism test in the post I made earlier. So I dont always realise when people are taking the **** or not! :/

This is like the method used in gears.
My method was simply trying to explain the principle as the calculation was been performed.

Soldato
Cheers all, much appreciated - its for swapping out the 10 inch wheels of a mobility scooter for 16 inch ones when I take the drive and put it in my boys jeep - torque wont be an issue (I think) as the mobility scooted was designed to pull 20-22 Stone, him and the jeep will be about half that.
Thanks again

Ah, so it's a practical question. Then you should be a little wary of theoretical answers. Insert joke about spherical cows. Sounds like you have plenty of power behind it though so should be good.

I would do it lunars way but H4rm0ny's way is interesting.

My way is to multiply 4mph by 1.6!

Everything else is just explanation because I thought they were interested in how and why, rather than just whether their offspring will be accelerated away at ungodly speeds.

Soldato
OP
luckily I have a variable speed throttle, so will adjust until he gets used to it - he had one, before I ripped all the gear out for another, that was about 6mph so all should be good - I am also going to install a remote 'kill' switch on the power, just in case!

Associate
Ah, so it's a practical question. Then you should be a little wary of theoretical answers. Insert joke about spherical cows. Sounds like you have plenty of power behind it though so should be good.

My way is to multiply 4mph by 1.6!

Everything else is just explanation because I thought they were interested in how and why, rather than just whether their offspring will be accelerated away at ungodly speeds.

Yeah, it is the most basic. It is easy to over complicate things by going with the equation you know is right rather than taking a step back and looking at the bigger picture of the question

Associate

IE 6.4

You assume someome can correlate the two. Not everyone knows that by increasing the diameter by 1.6 that curcumference also increases by the same factor.

Soldato
Thanks again
I would point out that torque DOES factor in - because at present your top speed may well be limited by, or at least partly involve, the load being driven. So you may find with half the load, top RPM is higher and top speed goes up more than you expect. Then again the bigger wheels would require more torque too, so YMMV. Literally :D

Sounds like you have it in hand with throttle adjustment and kill switches either way.

Back
Top Bottom