mATX board for 5900x

Soldato
Hi guys,

What a **** up as I'm really disappointed with my build and 'think' the issue is the board. I'll be in touch with Asus soon to try my luck. Pity that the return window expired a couple of days ago :rolleyes:

The problem being that the network and SATA controllers disappear randomly, I've tried nearly everything like unplugging devices/components

I also see message about USB overcurrent which seems to be a known issue

Specs

Asus Prime B550M-A
RTX 3070 FE (It's not this as I've tried a GTX 980, RTX 3060)
32GB Neo Z
Samsung 870 QVO 2TB
WD Black SN850 2TB
XPG SX8200 1TB
Corsair QL120 with node core (will try unplugging this tonight)
Kraken X53 (will see if I can get that off the USB too)
Corsair SF750 Platinum (I can't rate this PSU highly enough)

Ideally I want to stick to a mATX or ITX board due to the case but if all these B550 boards are flawed then maybe a full rebuild is needed ? :mad:

Any help most welcome - I wouldn't be reaching out here as I'm pulling my hair out over the problems I'm having

Thanks guys

Soldato
Well if it's of any value to you, I've got 2 B550 motherboards and I don't have that issue with either of them but I also have some other similar kit to you, both are Gigabyte Aorus boards, one mini ITX and one ATX, an Aorus B550i Pro AX and an Aorus B550 Elite AX V2. My ITX system uses the same PSU that you do and my ATX system has the 2TB version of you NVME drive aswell, the SX8200 Pro, I also use the same cooler on the ITX system and I've got 1 x 3070 and 1 x 6700XT and I have used both boards in both systems at different points, no issues like this.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the reply mate.

I literally got a new motherboard this morning (MSI mag mortar b550m) and just did a rebuild. Currently typing a response to you on the machine and it looks perfect - no problems so far. Going to run some more benchmarks which ironically the new board is already performing better at.

All in all I'm very disappointed with Asus - normally they're not this bad but the Prime board is awful - I saw some reviews on youtube that claim test failures on VRM temps

Soldato
Hmm interesting, I've been impressed with MSI's Mortar boards, prior to these systems I had a Ryzen 3600 running on an MSI MAG B450M Mortar, I was very impressed with that board, especially for the money, it was very solid, tbh unless you really need the extra PCI-E slots it made a lot of full ATX boards look a bit silly really.

Associate
I'm impressed overall with my MSI B550i Gaming Edge wifi. The overall build quality I find is very good and it has a USB-C internal header which most mini ITX boards don't seem to have. The MSI boards also seem to do well on VRM quality and temps according to a light blue themed Australian hardware YouTube channel

Soldato
OP
Yup first MSI board in over 20 years (they used to be naff back in the day) and I'm impressed.

Next time I best not skimp and save on the mobo but in hindsight the MSI board was only £40 more than the Prime but infinitely better built.

I'm happy that I found the root cause, fortunately the forest gave me a refund despite being a week past the return window.

I did however air my experience to Asus support which just fell on deaf ears :/ :mad:

Soldato
I have an MSI MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI with a 5900X in it, had it for about a year now. Works flawlessly for me except that you get a no-boot at anything above 3200 on the RAM and for that matter changing any setting at all with the RAM. I had planned to overclock the RAM or tighten the timings, but had to give up. Frankly it probably wasn't going to be worth it anyway. I read posts about other people having exactly the same issues, and it seems to be specific to Samsung B-Die. I've done a couple of BIOS updates since I got it, maybe that would help, I don't know. But in the end, it is an incredibly fast machine as it is with the default XMP 3200 profile, so I set aside my desire to tweak and just enjoy the superb stock performance.

Soldato
OP
I have an MSI MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI with a 5900X in it, had it for about a year now. Works flawlessly for me except that you get a no-boot at anything above 3200 on the RAM and for that matter changing any setting at all with the RAM. I had planned to overclock the RAM or tighten the timings, but had to give up. Frankly it probably wasn't going to be worth it anyway. I read posts about other people having exactly the same issues, and it seems to be specific to Samsung B-Die. I've done a couple of BIOS updates since I got it, maybe that would help, I don't know. But in the end, it is an incredibly fast machine as it is with the default XMP 3200 profile, so I set aside my desire to tweak and just enjoy the superb stock performance.

No such issues running the neos at stock 3600....
I haven't tried overclocking.... Are the Samsung's on the boards compatibility list ?

Soldato
No such issues running the neos at stock 3600....
I haven't tried overclocking.... Are the Samsung's on the boards compatibility list ?

Not sure, they are Corsair 3200 RGB kits, Vengeance I think, 32GB ( 4 x 8GB)

Whatever the issue, it is possible that current BIOS has improved compatibility. I tried it when I first got the board, have not tried since.

Back
Top Bottom