May have to drop out of college

Caporegime
OP
I'm confused, are you doing a further education course or higher education. In fact just let me know which course you are taking, its easier :p The reason I ask is that you are necessarily going to get student loans/grants depending on your course type.

You can hit the job centre and see if you are elegible for income support and more pressingly a crisis loan. I'd do this asap, as a crisis loan can be turned around same day.

BTEC National Diploma in Multimedia

How about pimping out your graphics skills? I'd throw £30 your way for two logo designs?

Because there are few people who will pay a noob like myself to do it when the more experienced ones are also taking buttons for it as well as thousands like myself. :(

Soldato
I'm not too fond of Fords.

You're poor you have no choice :p.

I was like this recently, just finished Uni and ended up job hunting for 4 months before I finally got an interview. Started work today :). Maybe have a look at taking jobs with unsociable hours, they may however impact your availability for your studies.

Because there are few people who will pay a noob like myself to do it when the more experienced ones are also taking buttons for it as well as thousands like myself. :(

But its money :/ Plus the more designs you make, the larger the likelihood is that one will get noticed by someone who would be willing to pay a large amount for one.

Caporegime
OP
You're poor you have no choice :p.

I was like this recently, just finished Uni and ended up job hunting for 4 months before I finally got an interview. Started work today :). Maybe have a look at taking jobs with unsociable hours, they may however impact your availability for your studies.

But its money :/ Plus the more designs you make, the larger the likelihood is that one will get noticed by someone who would be willing to pay a large amount for one.

I'm not saying I wouldn't accept that money, but that finding the work is the hard part. There are sites where you can pick up tasks and such, but they are usually heavily competed for with most jobs being snapped up by half designers for £2.50 a pop.

Soldato

Yeah I'm not overly impressed with Skippi's attitude on that. When I was starting out in development at about 17, I'd do projects that tooks a month or two to complete and accept £100-£150. If you can't afford £10 for a weeks fuel, sniffing at £30 for a a few hours work designing a logo or two seems a bit silly IMO.

Caporegime
OP
Yeah I'm not overly impressed with Skippi's attitude on that. When I was starting out in development at about 17, I'd do projects that tooks a month or two to complete and accept £100-£150. If you can't afford £10 for a weeks fuel, sniffing at £30 for a a few hours work designing a logo or two seems a bit silly IMO.

I wasn't mate. £30 is more that enough for my work. See my post above for what I meant by that. Would you accept £2.50 for 2-3 hours work minimum? Your offer was very kind, I just tried not to respond to it directly as we're not allowed to pimp ourselves out on here.

Soldato
I wasn't mate. £30 is more that enough for my work. See my post above for what I meant by that. Would you accept £2.50 for 2-3 hours work minimum?

Nah I see where your coming from now. £2.50 for 3 hours work is not really worth it. But I wouldn't assume it's not like that in other sectors of development, you should check out some of those those fleebay like sites for developement work, freelancers are having to take very low rates because (mainly) Inidian based develoeprs are offering to do the same work for peanuts

Caporegime
OP
So, have since been told there are no funds available for grants and haven't been for quite a while now so went to see the Finance peeps in the college today and cause I was turned down for that they can now put me onto a support grant or something. £45/week which should cover all course expenses hopefully.

Associate
Quite ridiculous. Not that you've accepted free money, you'd be a fool not to - but ridiculous that such funds were offered to you. You've said that you can't muster up £10 a week for petrol so need someone to give you money. I don't think so.

You have a car, which means you or your parents are already funding hundreds of pounds every year on maintenance, road tax and insurance. Declare car off road, use funds for bus. Or ride a bike! There was a time when people made sacrifices for things they wanted (in this case, a BTEC in Multimedia).

This isn't a pop at you - as I said, if someone offers you free money, then you should take it. But I think the fact that such funds were available is utterly ludicrous.

Caporegime
OP
Quite ridiculous. Not that you've accepted free money, you'd be a fool not to - but ridiculous that such funds were offered to you. You've said that you can't muster up £10 a week for petrol so need someone to give you money. I don't think so.

You have a car, which means you or your parents are already funding hundreds of pounds every year on maintenance, road tax and insurance. Declare car off road, use funds for bus. Or ride a bike! There was a time when people made sacrifices for things they wanted (in this case, a BTEC in Multimedia).

This isn't a pop at you - as I said, if someone offers you free money, then you should take it. But I think the fact that such funds were available is utterly ludicrous.

Up till now, the car has been running off what I had saved up and as said, a bus really wouldn't save much.

A bike, yes, but on mornings like we have now, I'd rather skip breakfast for the sake of a warm and comfortable commute.

Soldato
Quite ridiculous.

They give you £60 a week for watching Jeremy Kyle so I can't honestly begrudge someone being paid a little for study - plus they normally have strings attached such as perfect attendance.

Associate
Up till now, the car has been running off what I had saved up and as said, a bus really wouldn't save much.
It would save something. Your insurance payments alone would cover your bus tickets.

A bike, yes, but on mornings like we have now, I'd rather skip breakfast for the sake of a warm and comfortable commute.
And I'd like to be driven to work every morning in the back seat of a Bentley. We don't always get what we want.

Caporegime
OP
It would save something. Your insurance payments alone would cover your bus tickets.

And I'd like to be driven to work every morning in the back seat of a Bentley. We don't always get what we want.

Bus tickets don't work up my NCB though. :p

I'm not going to argue about it though as I know I could very easily get rid of the car and be a little better off. But for the freedom I've felt since passing my test, it would be very hard to do so.

Associate
They give you £60 a week for watching Jeremy Kyle so I can't honestly begrudge someone being paid a little for study - plus they normally have strings attached such as perfect attendance.
Well it goes without saying that I think it's crazy certain members of the public are able to sit around all day and get £60 a week. But I'm unlikely to use this downfall of the system to defend the need to give more people money they don't deserve!

Associate
Bus tickets don't work up my NCB though. :p

I'm not going to argue about it though as I know I could very easily get rid of the car and be a little better off. But for the freedom I've felt since passing my test, it would be very hard to do so.
Well at least you're honest. Sadly, you've managed to highlight what is so wrong about these types of "money for education" systems.

Caporegime
OP
Well at least you're honest. Sadly, you've managed to highlight what is so wrong about these types of "money for education" systems.

That's not really what this is though. This is a financial hardship grant which a very small percentage of people will actually be offered and of that, some will have to pay it back. The only reason I've been offered it is because Student Finance NI's funds have been run dry.

Associate
That's not really what this is though. This is a financial hardship grant..
You've made it clear that you could have easily got by without it, you just didn't want to because you enjoy the luxury of private transport. This does not fall under the category of "financial hardship". Don't spoil the previous honesty bit - you've been offered money, you took it - no one blames you. But don't make out it was necessary, or in anyway justified.

Soldato
Don't have an overdraft and a loan is absolutely last-resort. I've been brought up to stay debt free as much as possible.

There's your problem right there. Get a student loan like 90% of other people do. Apply for EMA (education maintenance allowance) and hardship loan as suggested by others. One of my mates got a £1500 hardship loan

On another note, all your family is dept free but cant lend you money to stay in education. Tight wads!

Caporegime
OP
There's your problem right there. Get a student loan like 90% of other people do. Apply for EMA (education maintenance allowance) and hardship loan as suggested by others. One of my mates got a £1500 hardship loan

On another note, all your family is dept free but cant lend you money to stay in education. Tight wads!

As said, funds for loans are depleted.

Too old for EMA.

Hardship is what I'm already applying for.

And my parents are by no means tight.

Soldato
And my parents are by no means tight.

Failing the hardship loan doesnt work out, borrow some money off them instead then pay them back when you earn some money.

Almost all my mates including myself have borrowed money off parents for something or another.

Back
Top Bottom