Just finished building my new loop a few days ago consisting of-

O11D Xl
EK distro plate G1
EK PE 360 radiators
EK Velocity Nickel and Plexi GPU block
Phantecs Glaciar 1080TI GPU block
Bitspower Acrylic tubing
Mayhems Pastel White

All blocks, tubing and radiators flushed with a mild vinegar solution and then thoroughly rinsed with distilled water. I was aware of this issue ahead of using Pastel coolants so took extra care to wash and flush everything out.

Does anyone or perhaps even @Mayhems have any thoughts?

Associate
OP
Really frustrating!

Even after several hours the fall out isn’t going back into solution so I can only imagine it’s going to be a total pain in the ass to clean out.

I’ve got another bottle of concentrate I can use but I’m not hopeful of a different outcome.

Associate
OP
I've opened a ticket so i'll see what they say. Given the BH I don't expect a reply till Tuesday at the earliest so I'll probably break down the loop this weekend, flush it all out again and then try with the concentrate of the same colour I have.

Associate
OP
No batch number, just a manufacturing date - March 2020 on the pre-mix 1 Ltr bottle, no batch number or date on the concentrate...

I just took a look at the 50 ml left in my filling bottle - that's the same, clear line of fallout, I cant imagine the plastic bottle would cause this so its most likely a bad batch in my view

Associate
OP
tbh mayhems fluids are for showcase purposes only, you should not run them in your system on a daily use, is written even on most watercooling company websites. I used the pastel white in the past, and it worked fine, but when I cleaned my loop there were a lot of residual from the fluid. This is from alphacool

--
Attention: The manufacturer Mayhems advises that Mayhems fluids, especially the Aurora line of products, have been manufactured and distributed solely for show and modding purposes. These should not be utilized in the system for more than 14 days.

We would also like to advise that Mayhems fluids can damage water cooling products, and using Mayhems fluids can thereby void the warranties offered by the following manufacturers: Koolance, Phobya, Alphacool, Aqua Computer, Watercool.

Damages such as: clogging, corrosion of aluminium radiators, deterioration of glued containers, etc., are a consequence of the use of Mayhems, but will not be reimbursed by Mayhems. Use is therefore at one’s own risk.
--

I have since stropped using mayhems fluids.

I was aware the Aurora fluids were display use only, but pastels as far as I can tell are not included within this statement, the product page here also states -

"Mayhems pastel range incorporates many differing technologies into one product, from dyes to Nano technology and of course a little Mayhems magic. With a system working life of about two years, of which is due to a design that is intended for prolonged use."

The issue I'm experiencing was evident within 24 horus of finishing the loop, I expect even display fluids would be expected to last longer than that???

And a direct quote from mayhems website -

"Aurora is “NOT” made for use in a home system. It has been developed for show System’s (modding) and Photo work. If looking for a fluid for a Home system / Gaming system please use Mayhems X1 or Mayhems Pastel range of fluids there are fully tested and working in any kind of loop."

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yes they should last longer anyway, I think there is some chemical reaction happening in the loop, could be due to residual of vinegard, question: are all your components new? if so why did you flush them with vinegard? If is new i usually just flush them with tap water at high pressure and then rinse with distilled water.

Yes all new blocks, I followed a video on youtube describing how to flush and rinse rads prior to use. Even though the PE rads said on the box that flushing wasn't required and there was very little that came out of them there were some particulates so it was worth doing. I read up on this for a long time while planning my build, it’s apparent that there are many opinions on what and what not to do, often contradictory which doesn’t help someone new to water cooling. To be fair this is only a minor problem that I can resolve, I’m still pretty chuffed to have successfully built my first water cooled pc with a disto block and acrylic tubing, which is running very cool and quiet, albeit not looking quite as white as I’d hoped.

Rinsed to hell and back, but there is clearly something driving a reaction here, I can only imagine its at homeopathy concentration levels :D But in all reality its likely to be the pH that's out of range.

I'm really annoyed by this to be honest given i followed all the directions, used Distilled not De-ionised water, flushed and rinsed everything according to directions and then rinsed some more, I'm a scientist by trade so picky about how such things are done

Last edited:
Associate
OP
That’s pretty much my plan, except I’ll keep the loop in my system, rebuilding outside of the case would be a major pia given it’s hardline with distro plate etc, easier if I had some flexible tubing but... I’ll need to check the blocks for where all the zinc oxide has gone, hopefully it will be in my bottom rad and easy to flush out rather than stuck in the blocks.

It still doesn’t explain why the coolant did the same in my filling bottle though. I’m going to make up a litre from the concentrate and see what that does in the fill bottle for 24 hours before putting it into my loop.

Associate
OP
A mix made from the concentrate in the bottle will tell me if the fluid is sound before putting it into the loop. Unfortunately it won’t tell me anything about the coolant that’s split as that was from a premix, pity Mayhems don’t put lot numbers on the product.

Associate
OP
I’m flushing my system now with water but the particles are stuck to everything.

I got a reply from Mayhems asking is I followed the method on their site, they seem to be thinking it’s a pH issue so your findings of the fluid being at pH 7 would counter this.

I’m now wondering if Blitz Part 2 would strip this out. If not I’ll need to pull the loop and blocks apart. I don’t really want to do this with the distro plate as that’s going to be a bunch of work to get back together. I’ll also need to order more TIM. What a pain in the ass.

if I’ve learnt anything here it’s, 1 don’t bother with pastels, 2 distro plates look nice but draining the loop isn’t the easiest thing in the world to do given the position of the drain port on the distro plate.

Associate
OP
It’s a hiccup to be honest but I’m having a crappy week as my mum passed away on Tuesday so it’s partly a hassle I don’t need and partly a welcome distraction.

Given it’s the bank holiday so I won’t be able to get either the blitz kit part 2 or new coolant until mid week at the earliest so do you think I can run the loop on plain distilled water for 3-4 days?

Associate
OP
Thanks guys, appreciated. Crappy time but getting through day by day.

I need to find a better way of flushing the loop, perhaps a garden hose connector or such like as I’m far from convinced I’m getting anywhere near all of the liquid out simply by manhandling the case through various axis.

on the plus side one of the bends wasn’t perfect so I’ll replace that once it’s empty

Associate
OP
Sorry to hear that mate. Lost my mum at the end of last year, it sucks.

Ive just filled my loop today with the Mayhems Pastel White Premix. I’m using the Mayhems Ultraclear soft tubing and Bykski rads and blocks with a mixture of Barrow and Bykski fittings. I’ll see how mine gets on.

Awful isn't it, sorry for your loss.

Good luck with the pastel, I really like the look of my build with this fluid so I'm going to try the Blitz part 2 and then refill with pastel, if after that it still splits I'll probably go for a clear coolant instead.

Associate
OP
The mayhems Facebook page from a poster.

"After using Mayhems Solutions Ltd products, and being a member in this group for two years, I can tell you: 99% of all problems you have are because 1) you didn't follow the directions and 2) You didn't prep your system properly with Blitz Parts 1 and 2!"

Not exactly helpful when you just want to get some assistance.

just saw that as well. Nice opening post in the group, it it’s not working foxtrot Oscar. Oh dear oh dear

Seems the members are somewhat righteous too. Nice group to join... That alone makes me look at alternate suppliers..

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I think it’s totally possible I’ve done something wrong here, not sure what but I’m going to strip the system down fully run a blitz part 1 on the rads, rebuild, run a part 2 on the full loop and then try the pastel again. If it still splits after that I’ll do another strip down and switch to a clear coolant with additives.

All part of the learning process :)

Back
Top Bottom