Mazda 3 MPS

Associate
How does the megane compare to the MPS?
Slightly slower as standard but you'll get slightly higher mpg from it, a much better drive as long as you get the right version. But it does come with frenchness as standard, I don't have a problem with it tbh and I find it cruises on the motorway really well (2.5krpm/6th@35mpg) but i've had a few clios previously so anything would be an inprovement. But i've driven it to the ring and back and felt far far more fresh than I did in the 172.

Although for a motorway hack Firestars suggestion of a 330D would definetly tempt me really. Depends what you want from the car really as the MPS and Megane are hot hatches, the bm is not.

Caporegime
I'm having trouble getting my head around £400 tax a year!

this isnt the car for you then

they have a reputation of eating front tyres. Expect to be getting 5k miles out of a set of front tyres (or less) at £260 a set as they are 225/40/18 Dunlop SP Sports fitted as standard.

Even the vredstein sessantas will set you back £200 a set.

Not so sure you'll be keen on the £800 a year tyre bill on top of the £400 a year tax.

Can you not get a Mazda 6 MPS?

That may be more comfortable on the motorway and it's just as fast.

it wont be

they share the same engine but one has less weight to carry around.

The 6 is bigger, and has a 4x4 system draining its power too !

Last edited:
Associate
I'm a happy owner of a 3 MPS. Yes tax is fairly painful and I certainly don't get through a set of tyres in 5K (although it would be very easy to do).

I bought mine in Jan 09, 57 plate (oct 2007) 9K on the clock for £11,500. As with a lot of modern engines Mazda say you should only use 98 octane fuel which obviously costs more. When I bought mine in Jan 09 fuel was around 80 pence a litre (I think). Now its a lot more painful!

I do mainly motorway driving and it averages around 30MPG.

The new MPS on sale late this year, has a lower tax band and different size tyres which makes the running costs a bit easier to swallow. However there are a lot of bargains to be had on the old model.

they have a reputation of eating front tyres. Expect to be getting 5k miles out of a set of front tyres (or less) at £260 a set as they are 225/40/18 Dunlop SP Sports fitted as standard.

Standard tyres are: Bridgestone RE050A 215/45/18

Last edited:
Associate
I owned one for nearly 2 years.

You would have to be driving like a compete idiot to get 5k out of a set of front tyres. I was getting around 9k out of the fronts, could have got more with driving a little more carefully. It stings come to tyre purchasing.. budget for at least £120 for a decent tyre due to the strange sizing (you can fit 225 though as I did on my last set).

It's a really good car - it accelerates ferociously in any gear - it really is very quick for a hot hatch. Handling is decent enough, although feels slightly less connected than its main rivals (Focus ST handles much better strangely!). Its a very harsh ride also.

However, its reasonably dull to look at (some may like this) and I found it quite hard to stomach paying £400 a year for road tax - although its not that much more in the grand scheme of things, it just annoyed me.

Servicing is reasonable, around £140-£220 for your services. However, needs to be serviced every 9k, so a bit sooner than most of the hot hatches.

Interior is comfortable and a reasonably nice place to be, although plastics are quite hard. Half Leather sports seats are great. Standard BOSE stereo is excellent. Lots of extras as standard (I believe cruise control wasnt fitted to models before the end of 2007 - check before purchasing).

I was getting around 250-300 miles out of a tank.

Overall, very nice car and a good all round package. I fancied something a bit different and went for an FN2 Type R, which obviously feels slower but has far better handling/economy and feels a lot more fun to drive.

Any more questions feel free to ask!

Back
Top Bottom