MBP USBC Cable use for data transfer?

• Thread starter Deleted member 209350
  • Start date

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Just wondering, do the USBC cables that come with the MBP to use for the charger, can they be used for fast data transfer as well?

The cable is Thunderbolt 3 as it charger the MBP, but im just wondering if it can be used separately for Thunderbolt 3 data transfer rates of 40gb/s as well.

I heard somewhere that it supports charging but not data transfer which is a shame.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

OP
Oops, completely correct! Just the iPad.

Figured! So it can transfer data at 40gbps then? Seeing conflicting reports...

Even saw somewhere that if the cable is 0.5m it can transfer at 40, but any longer cables wont

Soldato
I cannot use my MBP cables to connect my MBP to either my Mac Mini or my iMac Pro. Connecting it using a USB-C cable that I use for a Hard Disk works just fine. It's pretty quick - see here for example - but I've only seen performance similar to 10Gbe, so around 1GB/s.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

OP
I cannot use my MBP cables to connect my MBP to either my Mac Mini or my iMac Pro. Connecting it using a USB-C cable that I use for a Hard Disk works just fine. It's pretty quick - see here for example - but I've only seen performance similar to 10Gbe, so around 1GB/s.

Ah thats a shame, I was hoping they could be used as thunderbolt 3 cables for data transfer of 40gbps, but I guess these cables dont support that unfortunately, thanks for the help!

Soldato
I've yet to get near 40Gbps unfortunately, seems to max out around 10Gbps, and that's 3GB/s SSD to 3GB/s SSD. Tried with a short cable between two MBP too, and it was similar. My Samsung X5 for example works on the cable I've tried at about 2.8GB/s so I don't think it's the cable restricting it?

Came in handy anyway as my 10Gbe switch blew up...which is very irritating.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just wondering, do the USBC cables that come with the MBP to use for the charger, can they be used for fast data transfer as well?

The cable is Thunderbolt 3 as it charger the MBP, but im just wondering if it can be used separately for Thunderbolt 3 data transfer rates of 40gb/s as well.

I heard somewhere that it supports charging but not data transfer which is a shame.

The one that comes with the chargers is only usb2. It is the longest length for 100w PD for USBC though.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

OP
....which is also a USB C port. I can charge my MBP (albeit very slowly) with my USB-C Anker Battery pack for example.

Ah I see okay, so it can support fast charging just not fast data transfer then

Back
Top Bottom