MCE 2005 - Need Dual DVB-T card suggestions and Remote Control advice.

Soldato
windows-media-center-2005.gif

Hello,
I am just about to build my first MCE-2005 system and all I need to nail down now is which Dual DVB-T card to get (or two separate maybe?) and also what will be the best way to control this set-up from the couch.

I have been looking at the microsoft remote control:

mce_remote_500.jpg

This kinda fits the bill perfectly as the HTPC will almost be in another room, so now I am wondering if maybe I could buy a DVB-T card *without* an included remote and do everything with the microsoft one? (maybe save some cash this way? the cards have gotta be cheaper if they don't come bundled with a remote?)

I also saw there is a cordless microsoft MCE Keyboard that works in conjunction with the above remote (and receiver) but I don't think It's the best solution as a keyboard. I'm assuming the MS-MCE Keyboard offers no additional functions for MCE over the remote? (apart from the QWERTY function and a pseudo mouse/touchpad function?)

There will be a lot of gaming done on this machine also so I guess it would be a better idea to invest in a proper *wireless* keyboard/mouse combo right? (but have the MS remote for general/family use?)

So to sum up I need help in choosing a suitable digital TV card (Dual or x2) that will work sweet in MCE and I also need to know if these card/s can have all their major functions controlled via the MS MCE remote control?

I have been using a Nebular digiTV for over two years and its v-good but I'm not sure how well they work under MCE (they have BDA drivers but I'm interested in some actual user feedback), also as I need dual-tuner function I would have to buy two seperate cards which isn't that cheap!!!! (and that would also mean having two spare/redundant digiTV remotes lol!).

The other dual DVB-T solution that caught my eye was the Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T-500:

novat500_top.jpg

that comes with its own remote as well but it looks like it could be used to control other MCE functions? (therefore maybe I don't need to buy the official MS remote/receiver, oh god my head hurts)

Thanks in advance for any clarity you can bring me :) (i'm off to bed ...yawn!)

Soldato
OP
monkeysmith said:
Excellent, I didn't see those before, were they just added or me being dumb!?!?

Just ordered :D
Lol me too ;)

I'm sure they weren't showing last night though?

Anyway thanks all for helpful replies, looking forward to playing around with MCE-2005 for the first time. . .

P.S: I just got my "Your order has been shipped" damn thats fast! :eek:

Soldato
OP
gresty said:
Anyone know whether the Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T-500 Dual Freeview TV Tuner (GX-032-HA) is available with a low profile bracket?
Hello gresty,

Welcome to the forums! :)

I think is you search the web for hours you will probably find somewhere that sells the low profile bracket. I believe that the *OEM* version of this card comes with a small bracket installed.

They should really include the low profile bracket in the box though!

Good luck!

Soldato
OP
Yes I read that the Terratec 2400i is good, it got a top mark in a roundup in CPC, and is the first DVB-t card to use PCI-E afaik?

The Nebular is *top notch* but the thing that makes it stand head and shoulders above most other DVB-T solutions is the software (used when running WinXP), the DigiTV team work hard to keep improving it (adding value) but I think that advantage would disappear once you start using MCE-2005. . .

I'm waiting for my Nova-T 500 to arrive, should do the job nicely, still working out what is the best solution for *couch-control* though. . . . The MS-Remote should be fine for most uses but it would seem you still need a high-end *cordless* mouse and keyboard. . atm the Logitech diNovo Laser Media Desktop looks like the best solution, although @£117.49 seems like a whack! also I have a feeling that you may be able to control most functions of MCE-2005 with it, making the MS remote redundant :o

Soldato
OP
fobose said:
I have the nebula (with winxp though), I think the software is naff, too buggy!
Hmmm Thats strange, works really well here? One thing I did notice is that the DigitTV/Software is very sensitive to the signal quality, by that I mean that when I used a cheap portable ariel I used to get a few crashes when bring up the EPG, but that stopped once I got a decent arial.

Which DigiTV software version are you running? (the latest is v3.5.21)

Soldato
OP
Slackworth said:
Why don't you get the MS Media Centre Keyboard as you will already have the infrared receiver for it. :)
Yeah I know what you mean, nice and simple like, but what does the MS-Media centre keyboard actually do that isn't offered by the remote? (apart from QWERTY function)

When it comes to gaming on the MCE system I'm gonna need a decent keyboard and mouse so still not sure what the best solution is at this time. . . . . . . .

Soldato
OP
monkeysmith said:
Card arrived today
Oh man, my card also arrived today, but sadly it's the CITY-LINK card that says "We called today but you were out" lol :)

Cmon then monkeysmith, lets have some news, your running it on MCE-2005 yeah?

Back
Top Bottom