MCE 2005 - Need Dual DVB-T card suggestions and Remote Control advice.

Soldato
windows-media-center-2005.gif

Hello,
I am just about to build my first MCE-2005 system and all I need to nail down now is which Dual DVB-T card to get (or two separate maybe?) and also what will be the best way to control this set-up from the couch.

I have been looking at the microsoft remote control:

mce_remote_500.jpg

This kinda fits the bill perfectly as the HTPC will almost be in another room, so now I am wondering if maybe I could buy a DVB-T card *without* an included remote and do everything with the microsoft one? (maybe save some cash this way? the cards have gotta be cheaper if they don't come bundled with a remote?)

I also saw there is a cordless microsoft MCE Keyboard that works in conjunction with the above remote (and receiver) but I don't think It's the best solution as a keyboard. I'm assuming the MS-MCE Keyboard offers no additional functions for MCE over the remote? (apart from the QWERTY function and a pseudo mouse/touchpad function?)

There will be a lot of gaming done on this machine also so I guess it would be a better idea to invest in a proper *wireless* keyboard/mouse combo right? (but have the MS remote for general/family use?)

So to sum up I need help in choosing a suitable digital TV card (Dual or x2) that will work sweet in MCE and I also need to know if these card/s can have all their major functions controlled via the MS MCE remote control?

I have been using a Nebular digiTV for over two years and its v-good but I'm not sure how well they work under MCE (they have BDA drivers but I'm interested in some actual user feedback), also as I need dual-tuner function I would have to buy two seperate cards which isn't that cheap!!!! (and that would also mean having two spare/redundant digiTV remotes lol!).

The other dual DVB-T solution that caught my eye was the Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T-500:

novat500_top.jpg

that comes with its own remote as well but it looks like it could be used to control other MCE functions? (therefore maybe I don't need to buy the official MS remote/receiver, oh god my head hurts)

Thanks in advance for any clarity you can bring me :) (i'm off to bed ...yawn!)

Associate
I have a MCE system, currently have a Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/TV_Cards.html#aGX_2d027_2dHA

I've never used the remote that came with it, looks the same as the one in the image above. I use the microsoft MCE remote, and to be honest, am not happy with it. I find I am unable to use re-chargeable batteries, as the remote will 'crash'. The crashing part is a bug in the remote, which every now and then requires you to remove the batteries and short the battery compartment. A right pain. Maybe I just had a bad one. I'm looking to get a new remote, will try the hauppauge one shortly.

I'm looking to upgrade my MCE to have a dual freeview card. I have a shuttle system, so only have 1 PCI slot for the TV tuner. Also been looking at the card you mention above, but... why is the card so small compared to the 150? Very interested to hear from anyone using this card. Good post btw, was about to post one just like this!

Associate
Ah - the 500-T card only does DVB - which means it does not need MPEG encoding - as freeview is already in that format. Hence - the card is smaller.

How come OCUK don't sell these cards?

Soldato
I have a nova t 500 and unlike competing alternatives the drivers were fine even though its a new card and it works great.
And the ms remote is fantastic too. The nova t 500 might include one depends where you get it which one, mine did include one, but its rubbish compared to the ms one.

The ms mce keyboard is fine but the mouse joystick doesn't work well at all, there is an alternative with a better mouse joystick or you can just use a wireless mouse.

The nova t 500 is 2 nova t 150s i believe, so if you wanted you could get 2 nova t 250s instead and this would be better.

Associate
2 x Blackgold DVB PCI cards here - also no complaints

MCE keyboard is good - apart from the 'nipple' joystick which can be a bit fiddly so I also have a Logitech cordless mouse as a backup :)

Soldato
OP
monkeysmith said:
Excellent, I didn't see those before, were they just added or me being dumb!?!?

Just ordered :D
Lol me too ;)

I'm sure they weren't showing last night though?

Anyway thanks all for helpful replies, looking forward to playing around with MCE-2005 for the first time. . .

P.S: I just got my "Your order has been shipped" damn thats fast! :eek:

Soldato
OP
gresty said:
Anyone know whether the Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T-500 Dual Freeview TV Tuner (GX-032-HA) is available with a low profile bracket?
Hello gresty,

Welcome to the forums! :)

I think is you search the web for hours you will probably find somewhere that sells the low profile bracket. I believe that the *OEM* version of this card comes with a small bracket installed.

They should really include the low profile bracket in the box though!

Good luck!

Associate
I can definitely recommend the Terratec 2400i. Works flawlessly in my media center machine. If you buy the MCE version (doesn't come with a remote or software - just a bda driver) its superb value too.

I have heard though that the nebula you have already works well in MCE too.

Marc

Soldato
OP
Yes I read that the Terratec 2400i is good, it got a top mark in a roundup in CPC, and is the first DVB-t card to use PCI-E afaik?

The Nebular is *top notch* but the thing that makes it stand head and shoulders above most other DVB-T solutions is the software (used when running WinXP), the DigiTV team work hard to keep improving it (adding value) but I think that advantage would disappear once you start using MCE-2005. . .

I'm waiting for my Nova-T 500 to arrive, should do the job nicely, still working out what is the best solution for *couch-control* though. . . . The MS-Remote should be fine for most uses but it would seem you still need a high-end *cordless* mouse and keyboard. . atm the Logitech diNovo Laser Media Desktop looks like the best solution, although @£117.49 seems like a whack! also I have a feeling that you may be able to control most functions of MCE-2005 with it, making the MS remote redundant :o

Soldato
I have the nebula (with winxp though), I think the software is naff, too buggy! Also it doesn't like multi monitors, I get a border line on my other monitor from the software which is quite annoying - I have mentioned it to the nebula tech team a few times too, never gets fixed in the updates :/

Soldato
OP
fobose said:
I have the nebula (with winxp though), I think the software is naff, too buggy!
Hmmm Thats strange, works really well here? One thing I did notice is that the DigitTV/Software is very sensitive to the signal quality, by that I mean that when I used a cheap portable ariel I used to get a few crashes when bring up the EPG, but that stopped once I got a decent arial.

Which DigiTV software version are you running? (the latest is v3.5.21)

Back
Top Bottom