MCP655 & Lamptron Touch?

Soldato
Hey guys, i have myself a Lamptron Touch now, for my new build.
My question is.....
Do i power it via the usual Molex or hook it up to the Touch? i assume that if i hook it up to the touch i can set the pump speed to 5 (top) and then manage the flow speed via the voltage? Or will this risk putting too much volts / power to the pump and over doing it?

Thanks

Associate
I suspect you will blow your controller rather than the pump: the d5 can draw 35watts that controller can only handle 30watts per channel. The lamptron FC2 can handle 45watts so you could run it on that, other than that you will have to get hold aquaroe (very expensive) or get a seperate pump controller such as the Koolance 12v.

Last edited:
Associate
I suppose you could split it over two channels however I do not know how safe that would be and if it would draw pwer from each channel evenly or just take it from whatever one.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
i dont know if that would be possible to do. if it is not safe i wont bother, ill just run from the PSU it just means i can not change the flow speed as once the pump is in place, thats it.

Associate
To be honest I used to run mine off a controller but not much point on a d5 as you cannot monitor the motor revs anyway and they are very quiet at most settings too.

Soldato
I used to use a D5 at setting 5 on a Lamptron Touch. There is no tach wire (the third wire on a 3-pin fan connection), and you'll need to make up a molex-fan connector. My D5 could go down to around 65% (60% minimum) before it would cut out, which made a fair bit of difference to the sound, and not a great deal of difference to the performance. It's quite useful to be able to keep the pump on level 5 and tune it down, but to be honest, the lower levels are quieter than it on level 5 and 60%.

Associate
Yes there is a tach function, they just do not bother solding on the wire from the factory.

If you open the back of the D5 (just pops off) there is a solder pad that is unused (Shiny dot in the picture at the end of his pen). Scrape off the enamel coating, solder on a wire with plenty of flux and its job done.

Picture URL:
http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k464/Diverge75/D5_vario.jpg

If you are not to good with a soldering iron don't bother :)

Works perfectly on mine :D

Back
Top Bottom