Meat from Abbatoir

Soldato
So we were thinking and trying to look into buying meat fresh from an abattoir, so meat as fresh as we can get it. OK put the pitchforks down 28 day aged steaks are amazing. I mean cut out as much as the middle man as possible.

So who does this?
TIps?
Talk to me. :)

Soldato
Wouldn't they only sell whole carcasses? How are your butchery skills? I'd probably stick to a farmer's outlet myself, at least the butchery has been done for me.

Man of Honour
Don't know about abattoirs but if you're friendly with your local butcher I'm sure they could supply unbutchered and give you a price that'll probably not be far off buying from the abattoir.

Soldato
A friend has bought whole animals from a small local farmer and sent them to the abattoir (pigs and lambs mainly). They came back in manageable pieces iirc - leg, rump, shoulder etc. Still massive pieces which will need further butchering though - you'll need plenty of fridge and freezer space!

Associate
Years ago i used to go to the abattoir with a friend to take his goats, they used to cut the meat into joints exactly how he wanted them.Im not sure they would be open to the public to buy meat.There are some very strict rules/paper work about moving live stock these day.
You are probably better off talking to your local butcher, if not try and find a local farm shop that sells meat they are by far the best imo.

Associate
Totally depends on the abattoir, if they do whole sale meat as well then they will cut it down to what you’re use to as they will ship it out direct.

I have bought meat from an abbitoir via work and it’s amazing being able to get the quality - generally though I don’t think they will sell to the general public.

Back
Top Bottom