Mechanical Keyboard Advice - UK

Associate
Hi, first post here. Wonder whether you can give me any advice.

Thinking about purchasing my first mechanical keyboard. Been researching a bit into the myriad of manufacturers, key plastic types, switch types, backlighting and all that confusing stuff.

I need advice on a few points if possible.

I will be using this keyboard for typing and coding. No gaming.

1 : Tenkeyless - I think I want this. It seems more ergonomic and comfortable.

2 : I would like PBT keycaps, not ABS. I like that old school feel, and also I would like them to last and not go shiny. I would like them to be double shot or Dye sub, something that will last. Also, I don't really want to have to buy another keycap set, so I would like these to come as standard with the board.

3 : I would ideally like a board without backlighting I think, upon reflection, although this is not as important a point.

There seems to be a limited amount of options to buy in the UK. I'm mainly looking at Ducky, but have also looked at Filco and WASD CODE.

Now the problem with the Filco (Majestouch 2) and the CODE is that for some reason they both have ABS keycaps. I don't want the extra expense of having to buy another set, ideally.

That leaves Ducky, which is my preferred choice. There are a few models :

The Ducky One :

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/duck...own-cherry-mx-switch-uk-layout-kb-21v-dk.html

Nice PBT keycaps (are they double shot?), TKL, good. Backlit though, not a biggie.

Then we have the Ducky One 2 :

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/duck...ical-gaming-keyboard-uk-layout-kb-23j-dk.html

Nice double shot PBT keycaps, TKL, good. Backlit though. Not a biggie.

Then we have the Ducky One 2 Skyline :

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/duck...ical-gaming-keyboard-uk-layout-kb-23e-dk.html

Nice "seamless" (whatever that is) double shot PBT keycaps. Tkl. Not backlit. Lovely retro-ish look. Good.

There are a few of the Ducky Ones I like, for example the white and grey :

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/duck...ical-gaming-keyboard-uk-layout-kb-22m-dk.html

However, this does not seem to be available in TKL, so that's a dealbreaker for me.

I was about to pull the trigger on a TKL Skyline, but two issues arose - Firstly, some folk say the bottom of some of the keycaps have not been finished properly, and also more importantly, the shifted legends are actually next to the unshifted legends, not above them, as is usually the case. What's the deal with that. Why do they do that? I'm not sure I'm that keen on that. It looks a bit messy. Is it actually better, or some new thing or something? Quite a few of the new Ducky boards seem to have this.

So I'd really like to get a Ducky, it just seems that I can't get hold of one that exactly meets my spec. Can any of you give me some input on this? Which one is best? Any of you own any of these Ducky boards?

I think that PBT keycaps and TKL size are the most important factors to me.

Soldato
It's going to sound nuts, but I went through all of this and tried loads of keyboards at a lot of price points - bizarrely in the end I've settled on the...

Logitech G213 - it's cheap, quiet, sturdy, and membrane but with some of feel of mechanical, also splash proof, backlight is also handy for creative work in low light - I'm not a big gamer - but do a lot of programming in quite a dark office, and it's just spot on for me.

Wierd I know.... Must have got through £400 on bloody keyboards in 3 months, have managed to sell most of them on, but do have a Ducky I don't feel I can part with in case sanity returns!

Associate
Ah hold on, I think I've found one that looks perfect, bit of an alternative choice though.

Varmilo. Anyone had any experience with these? Looks more or less perfect. Very close to what I've been looking for.

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3895

I have 4 Varmilo KB, 3 VA88M uk iso and 1 VA87M Ansi, they are incredibly well made and worth buying, I prefer them to my Ducky One, they feel more solid to type on and I like the way the keycaps sit above the frame. You can buy them from a UK shop but I cant link as they also sell KB OCUK sell.

The only keyboard manufacturer I'd never buy again are Razer, they're keycaps are shockingly poor quality, made from the cheapest thin plastic.

edit. You may also want to take a look at a Leopold FC980M similar size to a TKL but also has a numpad.

Associate
OP
Ah thank you little crow, very useful (you can tell I'm new to this) - so I guess it's actually the VA88 that I want, as I'm used to using an ISO layout.

Associate
Ah thank you little crow, very useful (you can tell I'm new to this) - so I guess it's actually the VA88 that I want, as I'm used to using an ISO layout.

No worries, I did the same research earlier this year.
On some sites the product description and pictures are not clear what layout board is being sold - so knowing the ISO/ANSI terminology and standard key counts can help.

I didn't end up getting a Varmilo board, but they are extremely well regarded by the mechanical keyboard reddit (and pacegod, apparently) so I think you're on to a winner.

Back
Top Bottom