MeeGo 1.0 released (mobile OS from Intel & Nokia)

Soldato
Hey guys,

This seems to have gone unnoticed, so I thought I'd give you all a heads up! MeeGo is the product of the merger between Intel's Moblin and Nokia's Maemo linux-based operating systems. This 1.0 release is for netbooks only, but they're targeting phones, TV's etc.

MeeGo

I'm trying it out on my netbook at the moment but may functions are not working properly :( in fairness it's not a model which is on the supported hardware list (but MeeGo does say it should work on all Atom platforms).

Post your impressions here if you've given it a whirl :)

Su

Soldato
Was gonna post this last night but forgot.

Which netbook are you using Sumanji? I was gonna put it on my NC10 this weekend, but it's not on the tested list.

Soldato
I've got a Asus 1001HA, have tried moblin, wasn't all that, but I'll give this a go. Tricky finding something better than XP, I've been trying ubuntu 10.04 and it's really nice but a few niggles still stopping me from removing windows. Like the great multi-touch gestures and auto power management you can get in XP. I doubt this will have any of that yet, if ever.

Soldato
OP
Hey,

I'm using it on a Dell Inspiron Mini 9 - I only dusted it off a few days back after months of disuse (who said netbooks were just a fad?!), to put Jolicloud on. Then I stumbled upon MeeGo and I had to give it a go!

First impressions - it's very very quick (practically instant application loading and switching between tabs) and I love the UI. As I mentioned though there are lots of bugs, some of which are show stoppers, which I've posted over here.

Superewza, this release is for netbooks only afaik, although I think it's designed to scale down to phones, set top boxes, TV's etc. in the future.

Cheers,

Su

Associate
downloading now to go on my eeepc 701 (celeron) not 100% sure its going to work tbh, not being an atom and all that, but only 1 way to find out!

Soldato
I actually quite like it. There are certainly a few issues, but it all works fine with my 1001HA (similar hardware to 1005HA). I find the app integration flaky, and quite limited at the moment. I also had a problem getting the last.fm account to work properly and display correctly. There's also lots of wasted space on the top titlebar of each window, it's especially notable in chrome, where there's no need for it and it reduces visible browsing area, on machines where screen space is very limited.

Apart from that, the devices, bluetooth and wireless integration are simple and effective, much like how you imagine computers should just work. It all looks very promising, and I'll be following the development from now on. Thanks for the heads up OP.

Soldato
OP
Alex, there is an option is the Chromium settings to get rid of the massive grey title bar - not sure if it's present in Chrome as well?

I've actually rolled back to Jolicloud now, as MeeGo is far too buggy to use on a day-to-day basis. But like you, I will be keeping an eye on development and will give 1.1 a spin when it's released!

Su

Soldato
I only had a half hour play or so, but I didn't see such an option. I couldn't get the OS to update properly either.

I didn't get on with Jolicloud as well, it just felt a little limited and too web-orientated for me, but I suppose this OS isn't much different. I really want to find something for the netbook that boots fast, works fast, has a simple attractive UI, and is compatible enough for casual use (ie pdf, docs and so on), but I've not found anything to move me away from XP completely yet. Linux looks by far the most promising, but the debain based distros seem to heavy, some others are too limited in function, and Jolicloud and similar seem to be too social networking-centric for me.

The 'Holy Grail' OS proves still elusive. Chrome OS hasn't been released properly from what I understand, is it useable at the moment? I understand OEMs have it but haven't actually exploited it yet.

daz

daz

Soldato
. I really want to find something for the netbook that boots fast, works fast, has a simple attractive UI, and is compatible enough for casual use (ie pdf, docs and so on), but I've not found anything to move me away from XP completely yet. Linux looks by far the most promising, but the debain based distros seem to heavy

I installed Crunchbang Linux on my netbook (Acer One) yesterday to replace Ubuntu proper. Seems good and much faster so far. :)

Back
Top Bottom