Megane II questions, any owners?

Soldato
I've been looking at a Megane just recently, it's a 1.6VVT 2006 plate 5dr with 60k on the clock, the dealer is asking for 3k cash which seems to me a decent deal comparing similar on autotrader etc

Does anyone know of any important service point milestones it should have had by now? working crap hours this week so all I know is from a brief telephone conversation until possibly Friday till I can view it myself, cheers!

Associate
Hi.
I have the older MK2 (2003) 1.6VVT. Doing wonderful until I can afford a new car.

Know Problems:
1. Check Injection Light.
(Start the car, an from cold drive it hard. Within 1-3 Minutes it will throw up "Check Injection" on the Dash, with Engines Service light.
This is common sign of Fuel Injector Problems (£500+ Service fix), or Coil Pack problems (£25 a coil)

2. Window Actuator Failure.
(Know way of knowing if your considered megane has/will suffer this problem)
Renault look £400+ too fix, or new OEM ones are £60-80 an a few hours too fix.

3. Water coming through the AC system.
(Commonly cause by water collecting, easily drained.

Service Checks (From 2003 Model Haynes Manual)
So I am reading off it; Great indiction. :cool:
Every 9000 Miles:
Renew Engine Oil + Filter.

Every 18000 Miles: or 2 Years
Check Auxiliary Belts
Check Braking System
Check Clutch
Renew Pollen Filter

Every 36000 Miles: or 4 Years
Check Wheel Alingment
Check AC System
Check Transmission Oil
Renew Spark Plugs
Renew Air Filter
Renew Timing Belt
Renew Braking Fluid
Renew Coolant

Associate
I used to a megane II, on my 3 door both the windows went (one went twice). But apart from that the car was fine.

People suggest the coils will go bang, but the later ones are fine and they might have already been replaced.

I did like my megane, but the boot is small and the windows are a pain.

Associate
I used to a megane II, on my 3 door both the windows went (one went twice). But apart from that the car was fine.

People suggest the coils will go bang, but the later ones are fine and they might have already been replaced.

I did like my megane, but the boot is small and the windows are a pain.

I crammed my 50" TV (In Box) into the boot, with back seats down. so it isn't that small. (I have the 3 Door also)
As for MPG, its reading 42MPG exactly today, mostly back roads @ (5-6K RPM ;) ) an town driving, I find mine very economical for all the FW Drive fun it gives me, you can expect 50 MPG when on motorways.

The MK2 Megane is renowned for Coil Pack trouble, Injector rails + Window actuators. An the Injector rails, are the real expensive part. :eek:

As for window actuator, yes. My driver window actuator failed, an fell into the door twice (Thankfully didn't break) Its a time consumming difficult process to fix, but the OEM parts are £60+ like I quoted. Sure beats Renault looking £500 for the pleasure to tamper with my car.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Megane turned out to be a bit of a dog inside, ripped seats/scratched dash etc :(

Going to test drive a 1.4 dynamique 5dr later today, it's got a top notch service history up till 40k of its 43k miles so seems promising!

Associate
Please don't buy a Megane, it really is a rubbish car. So many better things can be had for £3k! They have one of the highest MOT failure rates of all cars on the market, and believe me its true, as i've failed loads of them myself. I can't think of a single reason to get a megane over almost any other car really, and that 1.4 is hopelessly slow and gutless.

Back
Top Bottom