• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Meltdown, Spectre and Embedded Processors

Associate
I have some smart home automation projects using the Intel Galileo and Intel Edison processors and I am now considering switching embedded processors due to the recent events surrounding the Meltdown and Spectre bugs.

Does anybody know whether the Intel, AMD and ARM Meltdown and Specte bus affect the Intel Edison, Galileo and other computers in their now discontinued IoT family. Could this be a reason why the Intel IoT devices have been discontinued?

Given that the Beaglebone Black and Raspberry Pi embedded kits use ARM processors are they also vulnerable?

Don
I would be surprised if they are not effected by this, I bet they use the same predictive pre-processing as other Intel CPUs.

Stelly

Last edited:
Don
Wouldn't like to say for sure, but from the Quark (core used by Galileo and Edison) data sheet, I would think it's an issue:

1.2.2 System Memory Controller Features
• Single channel DDR3 memory controller with ECC support
• 16-bit data bus
• Supports up to two ranks total
• Supports DDR3 with 800 MT/s data rates
• x8 DRAM device data width
• 1 Gbit, 2 Gbit, and 4 Gbit DRAM device densities
• Total memory size from 128 Mbyte to 2 Gbyte
• Supports different physical mappings of bank addresses to optimize performance
Out-of-order request processing to increase performance
• Aggressive power management to reduce power consumption
• Proactive page closing policies to close unused pages
• Supports soldered down DRAM devices

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/embedded/products/quark/quark-x1000-datasheet.html

Back
Top Bottom