Membrane to mechanical keyboard

Associate
I have been using the Microsoft Sidewinder X4 (membrane) for 7 years and recently switched to the Corsair Strafe RGB (Cherry MX Red) keyboard and tried adjusting to it however I'm not used to the lighter force required to actuate as I find myself always bottoming out the keys resulting in double or triple key presses so I'm thinking should I switch back to a membrane keyboard like the Logitech G213 or a different Cherry MX switch like the browns which has a tactile feedback when the keys are pressed.

Thanks

Soldato
Bottoming doesn't cause multiple presses any more than with other switches.
But mechanical switches register key press half way down after 2mm of travel and as very light linear switch MX Red doesn't have much force/resistance until after that.
So you likely keep pressing keys that far accidentally when resting fingers on keys.

Non-linear MX Brown has better amount of feel/resistance in early travel to avoid accidental presses from resting finger on key.
MX Black has about same, but with linear force curve it's harder to keep bottomed.
Here are force curves in same graph:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Mechanical...y_mx_brown_blue_black_red_clear_force_curves/

Logitech's non-linear Romer-G actually has feel still more toward membrane.
With shortened 1,5mm travel to actuation point force curve bumb starts pretty instantly.
Just like membrane having pretty high force to overcome, before key starts going down.
And while most mechanical switches fail to give damn about noise, with hard plastic parts smashing each others in both down and upstroke, noise damping for those is part of its design reducing sharp clacketyness.
Also backlight is better controlled focusing on key cap markings unlike US Christmas lights like Cherry MX RGB.

Associate
OP
Bottoming doesn't cause multiple presses any more than with other switches.
But mechanical switches register key press half way down after 2mm of travel and as very light linear switch MX Red doesn't have much force/resistance until after that.
So you likely keep pressing keys that far accidentally when resting fingers on keys.
Yes, I press the keys past the actuation point and sometimes rely on the keys to push my fingers back up as I'm used to it on a membrane keyboard so this is probably the cause of the double or triple key presses.

Non-linear MX Brown has better amount of feel/resistance in early travel to avoid accidental presses from resting finger on key.
MX Black has about same, but with linear force curve it's harder to keep bottomed.
Here are force curves in same graph:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Mechanical...y_mx_brown_blue_black_red_clear_force_curves/
MX Browns has the same actuation force as the Reds but has a tactile feedback when the keys are pressed which might help me to know when the keys are at the actuation point but I think the MX Blacks maybe tiring on the fingers when typing or gaming as it has a 60g actuation force.

Logitech's non-linear Romer-G actually has feel still more toward membrane.
With shortened 1,5mm travel to actuation point force curve bumb starts pretty instantly.
Just like membrane having pretty high force to overcome, before key starts going down.
And while most mechanical switches fail to give damn about noise, with hard plastic parts smashing each others in both down and upstroke, noise damping for those is part of its design reducing sharp clacketyness.
Also backlight is better controlled focusing on key cap markings unlike US Christmas lights like Cherry MX RGB.
I think my choice now is between the MX Brown or the Romer-G as you said it feels more towards membrane but with it having 1.5mm actuation point, a slight press or resting fingers may press the key however do you know if the tactile bump on the Romer-G is more noticeable than on the Browns?

Soldato
MX Browns has the same actuation force as the Reds but has a tactile feedback when the keys are pressed which might help me to know when the keys are at the actuation point but I think the MX Blacks maybe tiring on the fingers when typing or gaming as it has a 60g actuation force.

I think my choice now is between the MX Brown or the Romer-G as you said it feels more towards membrane but with it having 1.5mm actuation point, a slight press or resting fingers may press the key however do you know if the tactile bump on the Romer-G is more noticeable than on the Browns?
Yep, MX Black would be likely tiring in games for keeping some crouching/running key down with weakest finger, pinky.
Topre even uses different strength switches for different keys in their RealForce models to account for weaker fingers.

It's as much that MX Black like, 30% higher than in Red, initial force curve which gives Brown firmer feel.
Actual tactile bump isn't that high unlike in MX Blue (should be MX Retro for the ruckus it makes) which has 50% increase in force to top of the bump.
Though when pressing key down more carefully Brown's bump can be felt after that 1mm movement.

In side by side comparison to MX Brown Romer-G has little softer peak force.
But has that bump starting very fast after starting to press key down.
So should be very safe in its feel after membrane keyboard and not do accidental presses just from resting fingers on keys.

Myself switched (pun intended) to Romer-G in winter after nearly five years with MX Brown.
Sure felt different at first, but after fair week stopped noticing it.
And except for bigger keys with extra stabilizers there's nice amount less of sharp clacketyness.
(and that keyboard had factory installed o-rings softening down stroke)

Matthab here had same problem as you, when trying to go from membrane to similar force, but shorter than MX Red travel, MX Speed and found Romer-G to be comfortable:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/what-to-replace-a-logitech-g15-with.18821387/

Associate
OP
Yep, MX Black would be likely tiring in games for keeping some crouching/running key down with weakest finger, pinky.
Topre even uses different strength switches for different keys in their RealForce models to account for weaker fingers.

It's as much that MX Black like, 30% higher than in Red, initial force curve which gives Brown firmer feel.
Actual tactile bump isn't that high unlike in MX Blue (should be MX Retro for the ruckus it makes) which has 50% increase in force to top of the bump.
Though when pressing key down more carefully Brown's bump can be felt after that 1mm movement.
I have looked further on the cause of the double or triple key presses last night and I believe it is to do with the reset point as the Reds/Browns actuation and reset point are almost at the same point whereas the Blues, they don't reset at the same point at which they actuate.

In side by side comparison to MX Brown Romer-G has little softer peak force.
But has that bump starting very fast after starting to press key down.
So should be very safe in its feel after membrane keyboard and not do accidental presses just from resting fingers on keys.

Myself switched (pun intended) to Romer-G in winter after nearly five years with MX Brown.
Sure felt different at first, but after fair week stopped noticing it.
And except for bigger keys with extra stabilizers there's nice amount less of sharp clacketyness.
(and that keyboard had factory installed o-rings softening down stroke)

Matthab here had same problem as you, when trying to go from membrane to similar force, but shorter than MX Red travel, MX Speed and found Romer-G to be comfortable:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/what-to-replace-a-logitech-g15-with.18821387/
I have my eyes on the Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum (Romer-G tactile) but do you know if the actuation and reset point are at the same point similar to Reds/Browns or a little bit back like the Blues?

Soldato
I have my eyes on the Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum (Romer-G tactile) but do you know if the actuation and reset point are at the same point similar to Reds/Browns or a little bit back like the Blues?
Romer-G's actuation and reset points are in point of travel.
But never had any problems with those being in same place, when moving to mechanical switches after 15+ years of membrane keyboards.
Having enough initial resistance simply prevents accidental press when leaving finger resting on key after letting key rise.
Something what I wouldn't trust with MX Red.

Associate
As been said, try o-rings. However, I have had issues with the corsair keyboards - 2 K-65s so far had this same issue after as little as a couple of months of use. I switched it out for a fnatic one, which I am very happy with.

Back
Top Bottom